• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    BOTW is around $15 for 2 hours i think. Im open to other ideas/ranges too.

Id just like to see some of us locals get together and shoot the guns we tell each other about and for more of us to be able to meet.

We could squad up for an IDPA match or 3 gun at Best of the West or Austin Rifle Club?

We could meet at Best of the West and rent a tactical bay for a couple hours?

What other ideas do you all have?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm definitely in. Thankfully I'll be getting some help at work here in the next couple of weeks, so I should start having more free time on the weekends. I have 10 target stands, uprights, targets (not IDPA or IPSC right now though), etc., a couple folding tables, a folding tent, etc. so that should cover most supplies.

One of the things I've been wanting to get back out and do is setup the IDPA classifier and do some practice runs on it. Good benchmark for people to start comparing their performance numbers to other shooters, since there is so much data out there on it.

*Update*

Date: Canceled due to rain, rescheduling

Range: Best of the West
    Range Fee: $25 per person
    Start: 8:00am
    Finish: 12:00pm

Lunch: Dahlia Cafe

When you get to the range, drive through the cattleguard and down the gravel road to the range office, which is the first building you'll reach. Just make sure to let the guy at the front desk know you're there for Dillo Dynamics, and they'll point you in the right direction of the bay we'll be on.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Who else is interested? We going with Sigs idea? Thats probably best at this point. I dont have any real range gear like targets so i appreciate Sigs offer.

If any of you guys arent into pistols, i can bring an extra as i imagine others would too.

Ive been planning on buying some IDPA targets so this may be the perfect excuse.

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I may be in. We should also plan to meet at the county line range in San Marcos when it finally opens.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, their rules are going to be extremely restrictive I believe. I think that was the one who's rules stated that you cannot fire faster than 1 round every TWO SECONDS. LOL Might as well go to Lone Star in that case, and at least have BBQ nearby.

Also, some other ideas. pistol-training.com » Drills has a bunch of good drills and free targets for regular 8.5x11 paper. I also have a target PDF for printing B-8 bulls on regular paper. Lots of options.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What Kurt is getting at is IDPA is SLOW. It's walk and shoot while USPSA is run n gun. USPSA demands a lot more speed while still maintaining accuracy, so it's definitely a big step up. We could always go to some USPSA matches, or there's also some steel matches around locally, usually at BOTW I think.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well im up for whatever.

We decided on Best of the West? I cant think of a better range around Austin for a get together like this. If there is one...speak up.

What day of the week? Sig if we are counting on your range set up this is your call. I prefer early Saturday but can do Sunday (ill count it as fellowship time).

Doing an IDPA qualifier would be a good way to get folks introduced to IDPA. It IDPA is too slow for some...youre better than me!

If we arent doing an IDPA type range day then we could do some other informal competition or course of fire. I definitely want as many people as possible to meet and compete.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I find most single competitions boring and monotonous since I have jumped in with both feet to the high speed and awesome world of outlaw 3 gun. I do prefer USPSA or pro-am style falling steel if one gun shooting is what you are looking for.

I personally hate IDPA with every fiber of my being because of the ridiculous and nonsensical rules that are disguised as "Tactical".

I do however support anyone doing any shooting that they enjoy, I just won't join you.

Have fun guys.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I personally hate IDPA with every fiber of my being because of the ridiculous and nonsensical rules that are disguised as "Tactical".

My goal with this is to get us together to meet and shoot. Not compete.

As far as IDPA i definitely get that some of their rules are silly like being forced to reload in certain ways or engage targets in certain orders. I would like to do the more "open" event like USPSA sometime.

So we should pick what we want to do and pick a date and do the darned thing.

I like Sigs suggestion of doing some basic pistol drills. So thats my vote.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Either day on the weekend is fine with me, I usually just need to know a couple weeks in advance preferably, or at least a week.

IDPA is ridiculous, and it only gets more ridiculous with each passing year and continuing rule changes. I don't care about that. It is what it is, and I think it's a great way for newer shooters to get their foot in the door, without necessarily being blown completely out of the water and discouraged as opposed to attending a USPSA event that might have some serious shooters present. Also, I still feel the IDPA classifier is a good standards test for people to measure themselves by, and to use as a template to figure out how to keep building their skill. It's not the best, but it's fairly well-rounded and well established.

Col Sanders

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    I would vote for Sunday since I work Saturdays :). I would love to try out IDPA or some style of competitive shooting

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    As much as i hate to miss church it does seem Sundays work better for these sorts of things as Saturdays are usually packed with family events or work.

Range should be less busy on Sunday too.

So Sunday (earlier the better) and some sort of IDPA/ pistol course. What date do you all want to shoot for? If we get out there soon it wont be too cold.

I can call the range tomorrow and check with them on accomodating a small group.

Top Bottom