• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Larry Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Austin
    Was thinking about checking out the Saxet Gunshow here in Austin this weekend. Anyone been or have opinions about it?

Sorry if it's a repost.
    Texas SOT

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Saxet gun show

In the past, the saxet gun shows were pretty decent. Now a days, they are full of old men selling crappy personal gun collections, overpriced Academy and Walmart ammo, Old stock primers(at 3x to 5x their value) and gimmicky stuff like airsoft guns and jewelry. You may occasionally find a good deal on something you actually want. IME however, they never seem to have the kind of stuff I like, such as cool single action guns or numerous models and finishes of current guns(i.e. glocks but no two-tones, 1911s but no colts, AR's but no colts or armalites). Maybe things have changed over the last few months but the last show I went to, I had brought some ammo to sell which I ended up selling to a vendor who will undoubtably mark it up and resell it. Who knows, perhaps your experience will be better.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    The last time I was there (June) they seem to have an abundance of shitty Tauruses and like you said old men selling their collections... They always seem to have an abundance of walmart and academy ammo that is four times what I paid for it at academy the day before... Last month I was drooling over a Citadel compact that was a pretty good deal... I might in the future look at picking this one up... Maybe not this month but another one... It's okay if you just want to go and handle some nice firearms and just waste a couple of hours... Tends to be overcrowded at times though... Sunday is a good time to go... Less people...

4x4given

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Wife and I have been quite a few times this year. Pretty much what the others have said. I would add to that the prices on most everything except a couple dealer's new guns, are ridiculously high.

Ammo is the most insane, usually being DOUBLE what you pay at Academy, Walmart or even Cabelas. Ammo cans are double what they are about 5 blocks down the street at the Army Surplus Store. Used rifles and shotguns were selling for what new ones were going for at Cabelas (and they're high!)

But, there are 3 or 4 bigger dealers that have some pretty decent pricing on pistols and non EBR long guns. Still, all in all, it's still a fun way to spend $5 and a few hours. YMMV

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    How are the lines early saturday morning? I need to find a used ruger mII. I dont think I can make this one, have to go to the farm. Last time I went back in March the lines were horrible. So were the prices. I found better prices on new firearms at academy.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    In the past, the saxet gun shows were pretty decent. Now a days, they are full of old men selling crappy personal gun collections, overpriced Academy and Walmart ammo, Old stock primers(at 3x to 5x their value) and gimmicky stuff like airsoft guns and jewelry. You may occasionally find a good deal on something you actually want. IME however, they never seem to have the kind of stuff I like, such as cool single action guns or numerous models and finishes of current guns(i.e. glocks but no two-tones, 1911s but no colts, AR's but no colts or armalites). Maybe things have changed over the last few months but the last show I went to, I had brought some ammo to sell which I ended up selling to a vendor who will undoubtably mark it up and resell it. Who knows, perhaps your experience will be better.

When you were selling ammo did you just walk around with a sign saying what you got? I'm thinking of going with some extra ammo I've been stockpiling it and marking it up a little but not nearly what those fucking dealers do... Any trouble with that thought process?

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Sounds good to me texas_teacher.

Im waiting for a guy to walk around with a mini 14 or ar-15 that they are trying to get rid of due to over buying.

Reverendbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    Last month the lines weren't too long at opening--I waited maybe 3-4 minutes. The place filled up pretty quick, though. I mainly shop the reloading and black rifle stuff, and it was interesting to see what is happening to prices. Some vendors have realized that prices are dropping while others were still sky-high. The result was some huge spreads on prices for similar items, so shop carefully. I picked up an LR-308 at list price, while a vendor in the next aisle was trying to sell the exact gun for $450 more. The large vendor in the front of the building selling reloading stuff was trying to sell powder for 20% higher than stuff Cabelas has in stock.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Sellin' ammo at the show

I'd go for it Texasteach' . Basically I had a mesh backpack w/a sign on it and a nametag style one on my chest that read "ammo for sale" w/cals listed on backpack. The officer at the door would tell you it's ok if you ask him, so don't be shy. I sold Blazer brass 45acp and gold dot 9mm hp bullets for $25 a box, no problem. I easily could have got 30-35 per box/50 on a busy Saturday. It's too bad I always work Saturdays.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, I used to go early and wait in line. Heck, for a few months I even got there at 7am and I was the first guy at the door. I did this to buy ammo and just look around a bit before the place got crowded. I won't tell anyone to not attend, it's important that the show keep going especially right now. Ammo is either not available there or too expensive, so I don't show up much. I've gotten some decent deals in the past, but recently it hasn't been that way. Hopefully when the current run on firearms and ammunition slows down some more the show will be full of people who overbought and need to get rid of some of it for a good price.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I pretty much agree with what has been said so far. There can be good deals if you look close. GDS Enterprises is good for AR parts, uppers. The guy selling magazines and clips has reasonable prices.

Far as selling ammo, I ran into a guy at Texas Gun Trader selling for reasonable prices and he was at the San Antonio show last week, got some 9MM and .22 from him for a good price, he may be at the Austin show, and yes, he does the sign thing with the ammo in his truck.

If you are there Saturday afternoon between 2 and 6, stop by the Austin Rifle Club table and say HI, I should be there then behind the table.

And it's cheap weekend entertainment if nothing else.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    went half an hour early in June, was about 20th in line and by the time the place opened, the line was out to Lamar ... my favorite reloader, Collins, wasn't even there and ammo was way overpriced ... I got a great deal on a NIB Kimber UCII last September, but in June, after finding a J-frame I wanted at a reasonable price, I gave up because the wait for paperwork was about an hour ... got the j-frame cheaper at Cabela's and it took 10 minutes to complete the transaction ... I'm giving up on the gun show until things return to normal, tho I will miss that jerky ...

Larry Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Austin
    Had some free time on Sunday so the gf and I went. Figured it was worth the $10 for a little entertainment for us. The general consensus is pretty much spot on. Found some decent deals on a couple RIA 1911's, and I happen to spot a Gewehr 43, but no way I could drop the money on it. Also saw a 4" XD, looked to be in at least like new condition for $399. And of course, lots of nick-nacks, jewelry, and beef jerky.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Dealers will not offer much, check blue book prices if you can and assume a dealer will offer 25% to 50% of blue book. After all, they are there to make money. You may get a bit more on a trade in.

You will make more selling to an individual, but make sure you check and record ID, at the very least, DL number.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Best gunshow this year

Well I got there about 8:30 and there was a short line I was about the 25th one. Once I got in there was ammo everywhere but, none of the big ammo vendors where there:confused: A couple of tables had Winchester 223 bulk packs. There were primers lrg rifle,sm rifle, large pistol in quantity. I bought a good used ruger mkII for $270 with nice bluing no rust.
    I didnt see many sks,ak's or mini 14's. There were lots of bolt action(mosin nagants) with a good selection of other bolt action and lever action rifles. Didnt see any k31's or roman psl's. A couple of tables with ar's. Many different RIA 1911's. The prices were ok. The one major goal was to buy those 200 round surplus ammo cans. The guy that normally sells them for $5 now sells them for $10!! So I past on them.
    The best part was at 11 when I was leaving there werent many people coming in!!!!

slowrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I went today to hopefully find a Dan Wesson CBOB but no avail nothing. Wonders if I should have taken my P229 Elite in to sell but not sure it would even be worth it to sell to an individual.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom