• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdr8712

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Austin area
    Reds totally suck----overpriced---dumb people--how they stayed in business is a mystery

I can see how you'd feel this way. I'm new to Austin and went to Red's to fire my new S&W 340PD. Thought the range fee was a little pricey but still enjoyed my quick visit.

I called them later in the week asking if they had any short-barrel firearm ammo for .357. I was told they had plenty and would have to come look to decide which I wanted, (guy on the phone would not respond to specific brand I was looking for).

I made the trip to Red's later on that weekend and asked the same question. The guy behind the counter said they had none and would not know when any would be in. I told him about my phone conversation and he shouted across the room what I told him as if I was making the story up. He then tried to show me a penetration chart for regular .357 ammo fired from a 6" barrel revolver.

Uh, Sir, short-barrel firearm data is significantly different from regular .357 mag loads fired through a 6" revolver. I walked out very disappointed feeling as though I doubt I'd ever return.

Just my

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I can see how you'd feel this way. I'm new to Austin and went to Red's to fire my new S&W 340PD. Thought the range fee was a little pricey but still enjoyed my quick visit.

I called them later in the week asking if they had any short-barrel firearm ammo for .357. I was told they had plenty and would have to come look to decide which I wanted, (guy on the phone would not respond to specific brand I was looking for).

I made the trip to Red's later on that weekend and asked the same question. The guy behind the counter said they had none and would not know when any would be in. I told him about my phone conversation and he shouted across the room what I told him as if I was making the story up. He then tried to show me a penetration chart for regular .357 ammo fired from a 6" barrel revolver.

Uh, Sir, short-barrel firearm data is significantly different from regular .357 mag loads fired through a 6" revolver. I walked out very disappointed feeling as though I doubt I'd ever return.

Just my

Was this the North store?

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I'd be up for a shoot. I've never been to Red's, I'm not a fan of indoor shooting ranges. Never been to Lone star either, but I've never heard anything but good things about that range... When I lived in N. Austin Eagle peak was my favorite range, but they are pretty tight on the rules, and it's also a pain to make sure you don't bring FMJ (which is 99% of ammo I usually use). There was also this kinda roadside range off the old 183 N (or was it off the old 1?) I believe... not a bad place to plunk off a few rounds, but not the classiest place either.

dane421

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    DFW
    OK Lonestar is the place, how bout a date. Friday is always good for me, if we decide on a weekend date I am tied up for the rest of September, How about the second weekend in October Sat or Sun?
    progress.gif

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Lonestar, Because they need the business and they had to pay 5 yrs in back farm subsidy to the Feds just to open their doors. Lockhart is famous for BBQ, and they are real nice people. God, I love to see open carry at a range.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It was the one off Hwy290 on the SW side of town.

The weekday crew does things differently from the weekend crew (the one I work on). The shouting was probably asking Steve if this is something we have in, or can get in.

The short-barrel stuff, I dunno. Can you describe who you talked to? Young / Skinny, Old, Etc.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I just sent the organizer a PM, I'd like to get involved and make this a yearly event. We need a fun yearly event or two in the Austin area.

Was thinking of calling it Oktoberfest.

Top Bottom