• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handcruser

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2008
    ATX
    Hey guys and gals.....

I usually shop at the Wal-Mart at 620 and 183 where their selection is, to put it lightly, lacking. I only buy 9mm and .303 (which they never have).

Tonight i was by the Wal-Mart at 35 and 183 and they had a much bigger selection. Their WWB was $19 for the 100-round value pack and they also had Blazer Brass, which I really like, for $8.97/50 rounds. (all 9mm)

They had a good selection of .223 as well, along with all your .40, .45, 30-06, .270, .243, yada yada yada.

Anyway, Wal-Mart always has the cheapest prices and this place actually has a really good selection.

Handcruser
    Venture Surplus ad

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    The Norwood Park one? Nice, thats on my way to/from work. Guess i'll check out their .45 prices tomorrow! Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I just paid $21.xx about a week and a half ago for 50ct of .45 American Eagle at Sportsman's Warehouse. Selection was surprisingly low on those endcap riser things by the gun counter.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I just moved up to the area and have been going to that Wal Mart. It's nice that they have the "value" pack of .223 Rem there, which I haven't seen at other stores in Austin. Their selection is limited, but so was the Wal Mart I was going to.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    I bought a .22 Cricket at the Wal Mart in Tomball, Texas.

They checked CCL and DL. Went over the paperwork with a fine tooth comb. Had to do the papers twice because my writing was illegible and/or it went outside of the box.Clerk said OK and then calls supervisor who checks it again.
    Then she has to carry it to the exit!!! I couldn't even touch it till the exit at which time she hands it to me.
    I asked "Aren't you gonna take it to my car" Nope..and does an about face and goes back into the store.

Yes, they sell guns, but, really don't want to..and make you go through a big hassle.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Cabelas does the same thing, they walk you to the front door, so that's not such a big surprise. As far as just buying ammo though, they certainly treat you more like a criminal, asking to see an ID and all. One @sshole Walmart employee kept Alan and I a solid hour waiting in front of the ammo cabinet while he dealt with some other customer. They conveniently tend to never have anyone near the cabinet, and it almost seems hard to find someone to actually help you out with getting ammo, almost as if they try to discourage it. At least that has been my experience at the few Walmart's I've been to.

Anyone else notice that all of the new Walmarts have posts of 3 security cameras at every single corner of the building. Damn Walmart is turning into a police state. lol ;)

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    ****UPDATE**** Ok, normally I wouldn't shop at walmart, especially to buy ammo. But I happen to be there a little bit ago and remembered this thread. Low and behold, I saw a 100rd pack of WWB .45ACP for $29.88 ($14.94/50rds!!)...and got 2. AND, to top it off, someone was near the counter!! No ID check, not hassle, just a deal on ammo! Beats the $20 something WWB everywhere else! This was at the Walmart on 620 near 2222 (Four Points) which continues to impress me...somehow

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Yes, they sell guns, but, really don't want to..and make you go through a big hassle.

I'm sure you joking and really didn't expect them to carry it to your car?

I'm sure they hate jumping through the hoops more than you do, but they don't have a choice, it's a requirement and they can't screw it up.

Anyone else notice that all of the new Walmarts have posts of 3 security cameras at every single corner of the building. Damn Walmart is turning into a police state. lol ;)

I've never seen a Walmart, or any big box retail store that doesn't have heavy security. They have too, they'd get robbed blind left and right if they didn't invest heavily in security to reduce theft.

From what I've seen, in a Walmart for example, the employees aren't even trained well enough to help with most of the rest of the store, then ad on the regulations of handling guns and ammo and I'm sure they don't have to many people that are anxious to mess with it. I"ve never actually had a problem unless it was just finding someone even close to the counter, but that goes for any part of the store. But I've never had any issue buying ammo, from anywhere. If someone held me for a hour checking ID etc., I'd suspect I either looked like a gangsta or like I was 14. Either way, I'd be asking for a store Manager to straighten out their problem and get me on my way.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Walmarts are goofy to say the least when it comes to "service". Dont even mention the service at the ammo counter. Never there. Sadly, you can get some good deals every once in a while. Went into the one on 79, close to the Dell diamond when thery opened and found Blazer Brass 45ACP for 9.99/50. I think they mislabeled it, but I cleaned them out. The lady who I finally got to serve me had this look in her eye like I was some crazy guy about to go on a rampage when I told her I'll take all they have.

Academy has their Monarch 9mm at $8.97/50. Its Priv Partizan or however you spell it. Soft shooting ammo and reliable. I like it better than the WW and its cheaper to boot.

Gottal love the looks you get at the "big" box stores when you push out a cart full of ammo.

handcruser

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2008
    ATX
    i hate monarch ammo...at least for handguns. It is dirty as hell. If it works for you great. $2.99 aint too shabby for 20 rounds.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Austin
    The Wal-Mart at 35 & 45 in Round Rock usually has one of two friendly older gentlemen in the sporting goods section. They've always been courteous and attentive when I went to buy ammo there. That part of the experience has always been positive.
    However, the college-age twit who rang up my purchases in the Garden Department made the mistake of telling me that he did not like the idea of me owning a gun (I'm a very clean-cut looking guy, it's not like I come across like a gangbanger). I let his manager know that I didn't appreciate the cashier's comment. The manager sounded like a gun-friendly guy, I'm sure cashier twit received an appropriate amount of attitude adjustment.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I've out a bunch of 9 and 45 through my guns. It does have a smell that is different from US ammo. To me it smells just like Wolf. Cant imagine that an AK would mind the stuff.

Saxet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Pasadena, TX
    Buying ammo at Walmart is like winning the Special Olympics.....even if you get a good deal your still a retard for shopping there. LOL

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Buying ammo at Walmart is like winning the Special Olympics.....even if you get a good deal your still a retard for shopping there. LOL

It's inconvenient to order a box of ammo online, 3 days in advance to go on a range trip. Not to mention most shops around Austin either don't have what I want or want considerably more than WalMart will sell it for. This is especially important while I don't have my reloading bench set up.

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    I only buy .22 value boxes at wal-mart and load the rest. You can load it for about 1/3 the price on handgun ammo and less than 1/4 the price for rifle match ammo. Plus, you load rounds that were made for that weapon and that weapon alone, chamber measured and such, unlike the stuff you are buying at the store. Don't see why more people don't do it. What else are you going to do while spending quality time watching tv with the wife and kids?

Top Bottom