Join TexasGunTalk

AustinAarea Gun Shows?

Discussion in 'Austin' started by bowzette, Mar 21, 2017.

1. bowzette

bowzette New Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Huntsville, Tx
    I moved to Pflugerville this summer and getting back into shooting. I get a listing of Texas gun shows from gunshowtrader.com but I see nothing in Austin and one was in Dripping Springs and one will be in Round Rock. Why none in Austin and only a couple in suburbs while the rest of Texas is flooded with gun shows? To live next to one of the large cities but have to travel to a gun show seems very strange. Unless I am selling or trading a gun I generally don't go to shows but I do like to go occasionally to look at stuff or pick up odds and ends needed.

2. grumper

grumper Well-Known

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    There's barely any here. Not like Houston with a show every other weekend.

The next one is the Premier show in July.

3. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
  4. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Not quite Austin, but SAXET has a show in Dripping Springs...

http://www.saxetshows.com/schedule

Just to note, I have not been to it so I can't say if it's worth the time or trouble...

Cheers! M2

5. Reelthrill

Reelthrill Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Round Rock
    His question is why no gun shows in Austin. I think it has to do with politics. Austin is the most liberal gun hating city in Texas. They have pushed gun shows out of Austin and into surrounding areas.

6. bowzette

bowzette New Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Huntsville, Tx
    I'm aware of the Austin and perhaps to a lesser extent suburbs lack of gun love. I thought maybe Austin had a prohibition against gun shows. Perhaps there is not sufficient gun interest in this area to support more shows. Looks like Dripping Springs has three and year and one in Round Rock. Having to drive to San Antonio or even Waco to go to a show seems a bit strange. But it is what it is.

7. Dash Riprock

Dash Riprock Well-Known

Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    The Saxet show that is now held in Dripping Springs used to be held at the Travis County Exposition Center. Our County Commissioners, specifically then County Judge Sam Biscoe, got a burr up their ass after Sandy Hook and demanded that Saxet run universal background checks on all transactions as a condition of renewing their lease. Saxet refused and that was that. Why that wasn't immediately challenged in court, or why then Attorney General Greg Abbott didn't overrule Travis County, and why Sam Biscoe wasn't thrown in jail for violating the Saxet owner's civil rights infuriates me to this day.

Having said that, the Premier show at Round Rock, while techincally not in Austin, isn't that far away. And it's a very good show. As I understand it, the main reason Premier doesn't have more shows here is because of scheduling trouble with the venues, not because of lack of demand. They were at the Cedar Park Center and ran into issues with the minor league basketball and hockey teams that play there. The current venue they use looks like some kind of multi-use amateur sports events center, so I imagine that poses many of the same difficulties. Other than the Expo Center or Long/Palmer Auditorium or whatever they call it now, Austin proper doesn't really have anything that is capable of hosting it.

I haven't been to Saxet since they moved to Dripping Springs.

8. Armybrat

Armybrat Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Reelthrill pretty much summarized Austin's attitude towards gun shows.

I attended a Premier show in Round Rock a year or so ago, and the place was packed and getting a parking spot was tough. Don't know why they won't schedule more here.

9. bowzette

bowzette New Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Huntsville, Tx
    Thanks for the comments.

10. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    There is plenty of interest. The shows were always packed when they were at the old N. Lamar location and at the expo center. They can't have any official prohibition against gun shows, but the shows were certainly bullied out of the county.

Since you're in Pfville, Round Rock is closer to you anyways. Be happy about not having to drive into Austin ;)