• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I'm looking for an autoloader shotgun for home defense. I have a mossberg 500 defender with a light, ammo saddle and magpul furniture already. I'm mainly looking at these 3 shotguns
    Mossberg 930spx
    Mossberg 930 defender
    Beretta 1301

I'm open to other suggestions . Anyone have thoughts or have owned these?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I'm looking for an autoloader shotgun for home defense. I have a mossberg 500 defender with a light, ammo saddle and magpul furniture already. I'm mainly looking at these 3 shotguns
    Mossberg 930spx
    Mossberg 930 defender
    Beretta 1301

I'm open to other suggestions . Anyone have thoughts or have owned these?

I haven’t owned the Beretta 1301, but I do have an A400. It is the most reliable SA shotgun I’ve ever owned or shot. It has a scrubber in the gas piston that keeps things clean when it operates. In 8 years it has only had 1 malfunction, and that was due to me running some cheap ass Winchester Universal shells and it ripped “brass” end cap off the shell during ejection.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I've got a 930 JM Pro series tactical that I really like. I installed a scope rail and a Romeo 5 red dot on it for fast and easy target acquisition.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    The 930 is a sweet gun. Definitely a good choice. Mine was very reliable but I sold it since I figured my 535 would do a good job at HD

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm partial to my sx2 or FN SLP but it will hiccup on reduced power loads. With full boat ammo the gun can fire faster than you can hold onto it. Mine is the 22" traditional stock version so maybe not as tacti-cool as some like. I've thought about both Benellis as well as a modded Saiga but they're just too spendy.

Overall I think a JM 930 would suit your needs well and for well under a thousand bucks.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Of them, I think the Beretta 1301 is probably the better gun. Have you considered the Benelli M4?
    I like the price of the 1301 better lol. I'm kinda cheap so times but if thats what it takes to get a good reliable shotgun the. I guess I can manage it.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I like the price of the 1301 better lol. I'm kinda cheap so times but if thats what it takes to get a good reliable shotgun the. I guess I can manage it.

It's not. CZ 712 On sale now for $479.99 at Midway USA

I bought one to shoot clays with buddies a few years back, and after several thousand rounds, it has been outstanding!

I had some cycling issues at first with 1 oz low brass skeet loads, but after shooting a few boxes of #6 hunting loads, it has run flawlessly. I NEVER had a problem with any hunting or buck shot loads.

A few buddies saw mine run and upgraded their 870's to CZ's and never looked back.

And easy to buy and install the mag tube extension to make it hold up to 9 (i think) in the magazine. I don't have one, but a friend does. His holds 5 extra rounds.

Last edited:

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    The Benelli M4 is probably the best SD shotgun made, but since I wouldn't be using one for everyday use, I chose the Mossberg 930 JM Pro series. It also cost 1/3 as much as the Benelli.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I dread the thought of shooting a shotgun inside my house...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Hearing loss will come regardless of the firearm used, probably reduce that loss using a suppressed pistol or rifle, but without ear pro your gonna be saying "Huh" a lot more if you survive the encounter.

Or does your concern come from multiple projectiles going downrange at once?

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I haven’t owned the Beretta 1301, but I do have an A400. It is the most reliable SA shotgun I’ve ever owned or shot. It has a scrubber in the gas piston that keeps things clean when it operates. In 8 years it has only had 1 malfunction, and that was due to me running some cheap ass Winchester Universal shells and it ripped “brass” end cap off the shell during ejection.
    Wife has an A400 Xcel. Loves the gun. But the gas piston system did fail and Beretta fixed it at no charge. Not a perfect system. I go for a pump for self defense.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    If price is no object ( when it comes to my family and my ass it isn’t) Bernelli M4 hands down. Although, I don’t care for a pistol grip on a shotgun.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom