• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio
    I got the infamous Auto-Ordnance ZG-51 Pit Bull 1911 in a trade recently. The person I got it from said the slide locks back after each round. He and I are both aware of the history of this model.

I’m considering it as a learning/project gun as I’ve never had a 1911 in 45 CAL before.

Would any of y’all know if the mainspring housing is considered shortened or standard? It’s about 2” long.

I’m considering buying a new spring kit and was thinking a kit for the 3.5” “Officer” (series 70) would work. The product webpage I’m looking at asks me to select shortened or standard mainspring.

Any tips, advice, warnings, recommendations?

0087438846793cd097e95b9a0988199e.jpg

6ab7650f8fe2fd8c2b07bb8543fbc6e4.jpg

4211bd0293fc071588f2ce007978933e.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I've never owned a short grip 1911. But I can tell you that is not a full size/government grip.

I hesitate to infer that Auto Ordinance used the "Officer" standard mainspring - but that'd be my first guess.

Measure center to center on grip screws to confirm.

twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've never owned a short grip 1911. But I can tell you that is not a full size/government grip.

I hesitate to infer that Auto Ordinance used the "Officer" standard mainspring - but that'd be my first guess.

Measure center to center on grip screws to confirm.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a short grip, about 2.25" but what makes me wonder if the mainspring spring housing is standard is that the grip safety is so short.

Does anybody know what a standard length on a mainspring housing is? The one on this Pit Bull is about 2".

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The MSH on my Springfield Micro Compact 45 is right at 1 5/8" long.

I'll get out to the garage and measure the MSH on the Government and the Commander models I have tore down to see what they measure at.

twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio
    I emailed BH Spring Solutions. I figured since firearms springs is their specialty that they could recommend the correct spring kit. It's been almost a week and I haven't heard back.

twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio
    Update:

It appears to be firing okay now. Although, I only put about 10 rounds through it because that's all I had.

I replaced the recoil spring (18.5#) and the firing pin spring. The firing pin spring that was in there previously was in backwards. I don't know how significant an issue that was

Also, I completely disassembled it and found a few other issues. The barrel bushing was misshaped and had rough dings and gouges in it. I reshaped it as best as I could and smoothed out the gouges.

The inside part of the grip safety also had deep gouges in it. I smoothed those out also.

I fired the pistol a couple times before I owned it. (I got it in a trade from a buddy.) The checkering on the mainspring housing was painful on the palm of the hand after firing. Now, after the changes I made, that is not an issue. Is this because I used a more accurate recoil spring? I think my buddy had bought one that wasn't correct and cut it to what he thought was right.

Last edited:

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    cutting that spring prolly explains the hard recoil you experienced before buying it

might explain the gouged barrel busing as well.

I’ve seen instances where having the firing pin spring reversed might cause light primer strikes.

So, is the new recoil spring 18.5 or was the old one 18.5? Also, I make it a habit to get new firing pin springs whenever going to new recoil springs.

Last edited:

twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio
    cutting that spring prolly explains the hard recoil you experienced before buying it

might explain the gouged barrel busing as well.

I’ve seen instances where having the firing pin spring reversed might cause light primer strikes.

So, is the new recoil spring 18.5 or was the old one 18.5? Also, I make it a habit to get new firing pin springs whenever going to new recoil springs.

The kit came w/ both 18.5 and 24lb springs. I put in the 18.5. I have no clue what the old one was.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom