• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    At this point, does 'anyone' believe any of the numbers generated by our government...about anything?

Before 'covid' I was somewhat distrustful about our government, but now...nah, absolutely 'nothing' they have to say regarding any subject, I find 'eye rolling' bs!
    Nope I don't believe anything they tell us! After the COVID fiasco and stolen election plus Jan 6 lies.
    Hurley's Gold

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been unemployed for 7 months after 37 years of employment. A lot of job postings but they are either searching for a unicorn that matches 100% of the 50 qualifications or they are posting with intent of filling internally. I've had several interviews canceled due to the job being frozen or layoffs since the interview was scheduled. A large increase in these since late January 2023. Many low paying 2 - 3 year experience jobs. I've also looked at contract work but I'm seeing W2 rates that I saw back in the late 1990's.
    <>

Could you start your own small business of any kind?

We live in a rural area, retired, and the regular service companies charge us their regular fees for any service, plus a $200 visit fee. We are only 10’’ from a very busy medium size city.

We have discovered ‘’Handy Men’’ who charge only $50/hour, no ‘’visit’’ fee. For example, to change a filter it is usually now ~$30 + the filter cost, instead of $275 + filter. The actual change rarely takes them 15’’.

The Handy Men see to do pretty well, too.

A ‘’Win-Win’’ !

leVieux

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    <>

Could you start your own small business of any kind?

We live in a rural area, retired, and the regular service companies charge us their regular fees for any service, plus a $200 visit fee. We are only 10’’ from a very busy medium size city.

We have discovered ‘’Handy Men’’ who charge only $50/hour, no ‘’visit’’ fee. For example, to change a filter it is usually now ~$30 + the filter cost, instead of $275 + filter. The actual change rarely takes them 15’’.

The Handy Men see to do pretty well, too.

A ‘’Win-Win’’ !

leVieux
    My "retirement endeavor ".
    A few billable hours fixing stuff I've fixed all my life.
    Then a beer in a rocking chair on the porch.

stuhoevel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    San Antonio
    Last I checked we had 10 open positions. I've seen some of the resumes and they do not match the job postings. And some of the resumes are flat out junk, poor grammar, poor layout, misspellings etc.

We also run into candidates with 1 to 2 years asking for senior 20+ years salary.

I think some of the younger generation think they will get rich by becoming a social media influencer. No influencer has convinced me to buy something or not shop/eat somewhere. In fact just the opposite. Don't get me wrong, there are good workers in the younger generation. It just takes time to find them.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    The words "social media influencer" or a 20 year old 'life coach' and all the other 'phony BS' out there makes me just slowly shake my head in contemptuous disgust...

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    The words "social media influencer" or a 20 year old 'life coach' and all the other 'phony BS' out there makes me just slowly shake my head in contemptuous disgust...
    Not to intentionally ruin your friday, but manufacturers are making vlogger and social media influencer training toys for toddlers and youths in the US. Recent survey/study found most school kids no longer want to be firemen, astronauts, businessmen, or anything else. They mostly want to be twitch streamers and social media influencers.

vJyovWs.jpeg

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I think some of the younger generation think they will get rich by becoming a social media influencer. No influencer has convinced me to buy something or not shop/eat somewhere.
    Why would anyone pay an "influencer" for anything? How could a young inexperienced influencer have any knowledge or practical experience to think it would be of any value? If I need advise, I would get it from a source with a proven track record gained over many years.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Why would anyone pay an "influencer" for anything? How could a young inexperienced influencer have any knowledge or practical experience to think it would be of any value? If I need advise, I would get it from a source with a proven track record gained over many years.
    Same reason advertisers put their products in the middle of a news broadcast or television show, or quietly pay big bucks to be in a movie. Theres a known estimated number of eyeballs that in theory will see that add during prime time television. An influencer with 500,000 eyeballs looking at their video on any given day is 500,000 eyes to see your product. We've gone from an economy of making things, then we went to an economy of customer service, now we're transitioning to an economy of influence and advertising crap.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    My eyes don't look at any videos made by any influencer. An advertiser is wasting his money if he thinks I will see his product in this way.
    I understand you and I do not, but how many advertisements will you see today? A freeway billboard might have 200,000 cars drive by, an advertisement during Tucker Carlson might have 400,000 views, a superbowl ad will have millions of views. Its all just advertising and if you're in the marketing department with a dumb new product do you want a magazine ad that might have 10,000 people see it, or an "influencer" that makes youtube videos regularly and has 1 million views within 48 hours? The choice is fairly obvious for them; ad department can cast a wider net, the influencer gets paid, who cares if the viewers actually buy anything.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    ... Its all just advertising and if you're in the marketing department with a dumb new product do you want a magazine ad that might have 10,000 people see it, or an "influencer" that makes youtube videos regularly and has 1 million views within 48 hours? The choice is fairly obvious for them; ad department can cast a wider net, the influencer gets paid, who cares if the viewers actually buy anything.
    As I don't watch the videos, to be 'influenced' to buy whatever product, then those paying the marketing department are wasting their money.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    As I don't watch the videos, to be 'influenced' to buy whatever product, then those paying the marketing department are wasting their money.
    Oh I agree. Its very rare I'll even glance at a product being advertised. Last company I could interact with the marketing department in declared a 1.5% return on investment as a good advertising campaign. When I pointed out they'd be better off firing everyone in marketing to give a better return on that money investing in bonds they acted confused as if ads was the only thing keeping the product's numbers increasing. As opposed to the quality and overall demand for it... I wonder if there are any other marketing people on TGT that can more intelligently comment on "returns" from marketing budgets.

Even tonight, force yourself to watch a commercial for a product: say its that new electric toothbrush for $200. Now try to guess how much they spent on that national advertising campaign for 2 months. If its a really hot time segment and show like Tucker Carlson, football, march madness, or whatever I imagine its in the tens of millions of dollars just to run a commercial. Now ask yourself how many $200 widgets do they have to sell to make up for that ad spend? Any of you March Madness fans can look around the stands and see the probably hundreds of millions of dollars spent just to get a name and logo on camera. If State Farm has their name plastered on every basket ball net, do you really think they're getting hundreds of millions of dollars from customers because of that campaign? I'm still saying no and marketing departments are just money furnaces.

PDiddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    South of I10
    So, without reading everything, what does this mean? How many actual jobs are there vs how many “they” say there are?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom