Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Texas42, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    I went to the movies yesterday, with my brother. He wanted to go to see the movie, Avatar.

Overall, it was a really good movie.

The special effects were fantastic, and the movie was never boring. Almost three hours, but doesn't feel long

Of course there are the subtle (ok, not so subtle, more like very overt) references to Native Americans spirtualism and naturalism as the good guys and Corporate/military greedy as the bad guys. It does make a distinction between the miliatary in the US, and the guys on this planet in the very beginning, but it is subtle at best.

Acting was good to really good, depending on the actor.

Overall, I'm happy I went. Probably the only movie I'd ever regretted not spending the money to watch in 3D.

2. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I didn't have alot of interest in it, but I may have to check it out. Thanks for the review.

3. 81aggie

81aggie Member

Jul 4, 2009
    San Antonio
    We want to see it sometime, supposed to be a good flick. If I can get past James Cameron's "messages" I hope I can enjoy it and just be entertained. Thanks for the info :texas:

4. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Several political articles addressed the "message", the "messengeer", and the "war". I'll save my money and buy Zombieland in February.

5. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    MEH. I'll wait for it to hit Netflix and give it a go.

6. android

android Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Not sure what you guys are talking about as far as the message.

The plot is basically home invaders attempt to break in and take what doesn't belong to them. Home invaders get their asses handed to them by homeowner. Really no different that Independence Day, only humans are the resource grabbing aliens.

That is usually applauded on this forum.

7. hk boy

hk boy Active Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    this is a must see in 3-D

8. Buckles

Buckles Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX

great movie though. i saw it last week in 3D. im probably going to go again sometime after christmas and see in on the imax

9. Freedom1911

Freedom1911 Active Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    LOL Thats what I do. I don't go to the movies any more.
    I wait for NetFlix to get it in and rent it. If I really like the movie, I go buy it. Otherwise, I will just re rent it if I want to see it again.
    NetFlix is a great service, It has saved me from buying some movies I was sure were going to be great but turned out to be total dog scheiza.

10. 81aggie

81aggie Member

Jul 4, 2009
    San Antonio
    I had read some reviews that, while saying this is a good movie also said it was kind of heavy on pro-environmental and anti-corporate/military rhetoric. We went and saw it last Sunday afternoon, I didn't find it any more preachy than anything else out of Hollywood these days, enjoyed it a lot. I don't usually pay much attention to film critics, for some reason I almost let them give me some preconceived notions about this one.

Good analogy about the home invaders, I guess it's all in how you look at things :happy0001: