• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Been thinking about picking up a new one, show us what you've got or any recommendations, please!

Cheers! M2

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    GG&G doesn't even belong on the list, the benchmade does not have a sharp edge, it's for breaching. The new Gerber is nice
    pehahuqy.jpg

Or if you have deep pockets...
    ehy2ajy6.jpg

http://www.americankami.com/axe.html

Some of the website is fully functional yet.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Based on the link my good friend Acera posted, I went with the S&W Extraction & Evasion Tomahawk...

SW671a.jpg

The reviews on Amazon for it were convincing, a few think it is a bit heavy but I actually like that; plus it has a full tang which I prefer. It's about ten bucks cheaper on Amazon than Academy, but once i had it in hand I decided I didn't want to wait. I also had something else to buy and a gift card so it was an easy decision and a good one, I think.

Cheers! M2

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'm not a tomahawk guy, but I really like my Marbles Camp Axe with American Hickory Handle. Probably the best small axe you can get without emptying your wallet on a Wetterlings or Gransfors-Bruks.

I'm curious, what are you going to use the tactical tomahawk for? Currently, I keep an Estwing hatchet and rock hammer in my truck for any chopping/smashing/spiking needs, but I think something like this would make a better "multitool": Innovation Factory Trucker's Friend

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Dan

There are a variety of good uses for a tomahawk, which basically is a cool name for a handheld axe or hatchet. It's one of those things you don't realize you need until you need one! :D

I had a chance to hold a United Cutlery M48 Hawk Axe Tactical Tomahawk at the Liberty Gun Show today (which, by the way, isn't worth the time or money unless you're really desperate to go to a gun show!), and it made me feel better about the S&W I got. Mine feels like it can stand up to the rigors of hard use, the M48 with its "nylon reinforced handle" feels like it would break after a couple of hard chops. Plus, the rubber handle on my full-length tang feels like a much better grip than the para-cord they wrap around the M48's handle.

The only problem at the moment is now that I have one, I want to use it on something!

Cheers! M2

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Based on the link my good friend Acera posted, I went with the S&W Extraction & Evasion Tomahawk...

SW671a.jpg

The reviews on Amazon for it were convincing, a few think it is a bit heavy but I actually like that; plus it has a full tangwhich I prefer. It's about ten bucks cheaper on Amazon than Academy, but once i had it in hand I decided I didn't want to wait. I also had something else to buy and a gift card so it was an easy decision and a good one, I think.

Cheers! M2

Academy? Ok, im getting one of those.
    Good find 3m.

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Dan

There are a variety of good uses for a tomahawk, which basically is a cool name for a handheld axe or hatchet. It's one of those things you don't realize you need until you need one! :D

I had a chance to hold a United Cutlery M48 Hawk Axe Tactical Tomahawk at the Liberty Gun Show today (which, by the way, isn't worth the time or money unless you're really desperate to go to a gun show!), and it made me feel better about the S&W I got. Mine feels like it can stand up to the rigors of hard use, the M48 with its "nylon reinforced handle" feels like it would break after a couple of hard chops. Plus, the rubber handle on my full-length tang feels like a much better grip than the para-cord they wrap around the M48's handle.

The only problem at the moment is now that I have one, I want to use it on something!

Cheers! M2

Glad I saw this post, was looking at the M48 on Amazon but will make my way to Academy to check out the S&W.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Ive looked a few times and haven't seen any at walfart....guess they don't have them here

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    If I am not mistaken they are in a package set and usually out on a display in the middle of the aisle near the camping/outdoors section; although that may not be at every Wally...

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    Here's a Trail Hawk I modified by "rusting" the blade and pall and staining the handle. Was trying to go for a the rustic, traditional, early colonial American look, but didn't quite get there. Still need some brass tacks top and bottom.

trail-hawk-with-mod-3413-2nd-copy.jpg

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    One of the things I like about the "Trail Hawk" is that the pall can be used as a hammer. Also, the good thing about these old style 'hawks is that you can easily remove the blade to use as a scraper, or if the handle breaks, you can make and "scrape" out a new one from a good branch while out in the woods.

trail-hawk-modded-carrie-3413-2nd-copy.jpg

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    This is the one I bought, it flew the best out of the 10 i tried. I enjoy throwing them. The screws did have a habit of backing out after about 20 throws so i locktited the in and wrapped 550 cord around the tang and handle section.
    204157_ts.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Sorry, off topic, but whenever the tactical tomahawk question pops up I have to pose a rhetorical question:

It's you and a complete stranger, thrown into an arena for a gladiatorial fight to the death. In the middle of the ring are two weapons: a spear, and a tomahawk. Both of you start equidistant... what do you run and grab?

Now... why aren't there more tactical spears???

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Sorry, off topic, but whenever the tactical tomahawk question pops up I have to pose a rhetorical question:

It's you and a complete stranger, thrown into an arena for a gladiatorial fight to the death. In the middle of the ring are two weapons: a spear, and a tomahawk. Both of you start equidistant... what do you run and grab?

Actually, there are...

anti_personnel_tactical_riot_spear_540.jpg

...but to be honest I would still prefer a tactical tomahawk instead. Better close quarters weapon, easier to store, more versatile and still can be used for other, non-combative purposes.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney

the spear, longer reach, in that scenario.
    I have the sog tomahawk .

Last edited:
    Top Bottom