• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldcop041

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    DFW AREA
    A couple of weeks ago I was at the farm mowing. I jumped off the mower and grabbed a bench I keep on the gun range. Forgot how heavy it is - lifted and it twisted. Now I have a bad disc.
    Hopefully it will heal without any drama. I am just hanging around the house irritating the hell out of my wife. She keeps finding errands to run. Anything to get away.
    The bad part is I have a new AR to shoot!
    Military Camp

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I hurt my back on Thursday and it didn't get better til Monday. Best part, I couldn't take off from my (blue collar) work and had a hard deadline on Tuesday at 5pm.

Anyway, I was standing around looking out a window and BAM! I don't know what the hell happened. You don't realize how much you use your back til you hurt it.

oldcop041

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    DFW AREA
    I have "thrown my back out" several times over the years. Takes longer to heal now that I am old.
    If it's not well enough for me to drive by next week my buddy is going to drive me down to the farm so I can shoot my new gun. Of course I will have to supply him with BBQ, beer and ammo.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Screwed mine up in 1983 when I grabbed what I thought was a 120 lb injection mold off the rack.
    When the full weight hit me I stumbled and nearly feel.
    Later my back went to killing me so went to the hospital.
    Partly crushed disc. The workman's comp people came out and weighed the mold -265lbs dead weight.
    Made the company post all kinds of signage;made them buy a motorized lift truck made for mold changing.
    I lived with back pain all my adult life.
    On and off the pain meds as needs.
    They can fix it but I for one am not letting the cut on my back till I have no other choices.
    I have had to close friends have back surgery and both came out worse than they were when they went in.
    I feel ya pain!

oldcop041

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    DFW AREA
    Madmo - my back pain is nothing compared to what you have to live with. Still - I will continue to whine like the cupcake I am.:1zhelp:
    Sorry to hear about your problem.
    Being bored, I keep buying gun stuff off the internet. Going to go broke if I don't get out of the house soon!

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Madmo - my back pain is nothing compared to what you have to live with. Still - I will continue to whine like the cupcake I am.:1zhelp:
    Sorry to hear about your problem.
    Being bored, I keep buying gun stuff off the internet. Going to go broke if I don't get out of the house soon!
    I know how ya feel but after a while you kinda get numb to it because it's just one of those things you learn to live with and you learn how to work around it.
    I'm pretty active and try to stay that way. When I spend to much time lazing around; when I start back to being active it hurts real bad for days. So I just try not slow down.
    I'd whine but no body listens - LOL!!!!

Like one of my best friends is always saying to his youngest son who whines about everything.
    "You will find sympathy in the dictionary between shit and sweat, so get to it boy" - ROFLMAO!!!

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Speaking of shit and sweat, my back felt much better when I was outside working and sweating my butt off. When I got back to the air conditioned portion of the job, it got stiff. Sitting at my computer or on the couch watching tv made my back feel 10x worse.

I'm glad my back is feeling better, lol.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Speaking of shit and sweat, my back felt much better when I was outside working and sweating my butt off. When I got back to the air conditioned portion of the job, it got stiff. Sitting at my computer or on the couch watching tv made my back feel 10x worse.

I'm glad my back is feeling better, lol.

Yeah that's kinda how I am.
    Some time though I over do it and I have have to just deal with it.
    Here lately that's been the norm.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I had several slipped discs in my lower back during my early teenage years. After years of going to the chiropractor, I haven't really had any problems for awhile. I'll say this much, slipped discs suck! One time one of them shifted just right and pinched a nerve so bad that, as I was walking around at home, I instantaneously collapsed on the ground and had to use my arms to crawl back into bed as it hurt that bad. ;)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I won't get into my long back injury story (right now), but I know that back pain sucks! I've been through that hell.

Find a good chiropractor. I've had results similar to Sig_Fiend's. I've been to two chiropractors (need to find one in San Antonio eventually) and both helped my back problems a bunch. I saw the first one at the same time I was seeing a "real" doctor. The "real" doc was useless. "Take it easy for a week and pop these painkillers and muscle relaxers and you'll be good as new". Dumbass didn't even get me x-rayed (which showed nothing when I demanded I get some tests) and if he'd had an MRI done sooner, he'd have known that taking it easy for a week wouldn't help: my L5-S1 disc got a bulge and was pinching a nerve. Yeah... "take a week off work and you'll be fine... do you need a wheelchair to get back to your car?" Those might not be his exact words, but they're close enough.

Some quick tips to avoid back pain:

• Work on "core" strength: sit-ups, pull ups, anything that works your stomach area.
    • Take the crap out of your back pocket when you drive!! This is a big one; stuff like your wallet will tilt your hips, pushing your back out of whack.
    • Stand up straight! It sounds stupid, but posture makes a big difference. If you don't know what "right" is, relax and imagine a string coming out of the top of your head, and then imagine someone pulling up on it. Relax your shoulders and let them come back on their own (kind of like standing at attention.)
    • Lift with your legs, lift with your legs, lift with your legs! This is the hardest one to follow. And I mean lift everything with your legs. Don't just bend at the waist to pick up even small objects.

The human back is just a piss-poor "design". The spine isn't built to bear the loads we want it to; it's meant for four-legged creatures. Keeping your back straight as much as possible, especially when lifting or carrying, will help you avoid injury, since the spine is just a stack of discs. Keep 'em balanced one on the other and you're fine. Tilt it one way or the other and put weight on it, and it will try falling apart.

Thor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    N Central Texas
    I've had chronic back pain for over a decade. I've also have had three spine surgeries, two of them lower back. I read an article in a VFW magazine (last Jan or Feb), discussing that the VA is using Vitamin D for chronic pain management. I decided to try it. I take some 10,000 - 15,000 IUs of liquid Vitamin D. It sure has helped me. I will caution that there is a toxic level of vitamin D, that's anything from 20,000 IUs and upwards.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom