Join TexasGunTalk

Back to , because I was bored....

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Mad John, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Mad John

Mad John Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Friends,
    Well I am finally back at home for a few days of R & R and found a "Roun' Tuit. Here are more pictures of the rifle I threw together when I was bored. Some members have asked for more of the "particulars" and such.
    Okay.... Enjoy! John DSC_0062b.jpg DSC_0069-a.jpg DSC_0070-a.jpg

2. bigwheel

bigwheel Active Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Mighty nice Sir. Hats off to you.

Mad John likes this.
  3. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Don't know if I would have picked that caliber or glass but it is nice.
    Thanks.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mad John likes this.
  4. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That is very nice except the stock. Us left handed shooters are offended.

What is the purpose of this rifle? I would love to test some handloads in it but can't see a real practical use (not that there has to be one).

Mad John likes this.
  5. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Very nice! I'd love to shoot something like that! :green:

(Edited from previous!)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    toddnjoyce likes this.
  6. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Nice work John, particularly the jeweled bolt. Just something about that I like.

I recall from your previous thread that this project was to find something to do with the action you had, correct?

7. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I'd bet your groups are fantastic! What's the "effective" range of that rifle in .45 APC? Can you load up some hot rounds to extend it out even further? The more I look at the picture, the more I like it!

8. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I don't guess you are by chance planning a shooting trip to the Texas hill country anytime soon? :green:

9. Mad John

Mad John Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Gentlemen,
    This was merely a project "brainstorm" I had to use old parts in my junk pile. With the exception of the scope which was on my shelf among other spare scopes. Sorry to those "left handed" shooters, it just wouldn't have worked for me.
    I chose the caliber because it was the opportunity to try something new, subsonic and I had parts piled in the corner in my basement. .45acp is a misunderstood round with notoriety of not being accurate at any distance. Works pretty nice. I used Military Ball Lake City rounds for initial set up. I have plenty on hand and the ballistics of that was taken into consideration of handloads. Keeping in mind that .45 acp given velocity is 880 fps with a 230 grain FMJ bullet. Powder choices at that point is a moot point.
    It was a fun and interesting project and many other possibilities exist in the future. Suggestion.... build one for fun. I still have ideas brewing. John

toddnjoyce and Charlie like this.
  10. Mad John

Mad John Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    You certainly can "poop" up the velocity but then you lose the sub-sonic advantage increasing muzzle report and sound barrier ripple.
    Accuracy is really fun. Tightly controlled hand loads at 880 fps, from a bench it maintains consistent results around 2 inches at 200 yards. NOY a flat shooter but impact is creditable. John

toddnjoyce and Charlie like this.