• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston
    Gentlemen,

I went to an indoor range today for the 1st time in quite a while and my performance was less than stellar.

Therefore, I thought it may be a good opportunity to get back to the basics. May be correct some bad habits in the process. Also want to take the wife.

Therefore, might any of you recommend a place in Houston (club/range) that offers what may be considered an exceptional basic cost effective handgun class?

I appreciate your time and input on this matter.

Dave

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Gentlemen,

I went to an indoor range today for the 1st time in quite a while and my performance was less than stellar.

Therefore, I thought it may be a good opportunity to get back to the basics. May be correct some bad habits in the process. Also want to take the wife.

Therefore, might any of you recommend a place in Houston (club/range) that offers what may be considered an exceptional basic cost effective handgun class?

I appreciate your time and input on this matter.

Dave
    Which side of Houston? Willing to travel?

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    American Shooting Center our Westheimer/1093. They used to ha e some basic courses available. Also, there was an IDPA group that shot out there weekly. IDPA would offer the trigger time to revive the perishable skill of hitting what you aim at.

Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston
    American Shooting Center our Westheimer/1093. They used to ha e some basic courses available. Also, there was an IDPA group that shot out there weekly. IDPA would offer the trigger time to revive the perishable skill of hitting what you aim at.
    I would be very interested in an IDPA course offering. After the basics of course, with the wife. I want her to feel comfortable shooting just in case the need arises at home.

I used to go to that ASC on Westiemer almost every weekend years ago. Its a pretty good outdoor range.

Checking out Top Gun now, Zack also sent me a guy in League City with pretty good prices and a max of two students per instructor, which would be perfect for Marj and I.

Last edited:

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I would be very interested in an IDPA course offering. After the basics of course, with the wife. I want her to feel comfortable shooting just in case the need arises at home.

I used to go to that ASC on Westiemer almost every weekend years ago. Its a pretty good outdoor range.

Checking out Top Gun now, Zack also sent me a guy in League City with pretty good prices and a max of two students per instructor, which would be perfect for Marj and I.
    I always suggested that him and her take their basic instruction separately. After that, yes, train together on how to operate together as a partnership.

Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston
    I always suggested that him and her take their basic instruction separately. After that, yes, train together on how to operate together as a partnership.
    Just curious, why do you say that? I was thinking so she wouldn't be nervous with me around?

Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston
    Well we signed up with Bo from Viper Weapons Training in League City scheduled in a few weeks, will report back the impressions of the training.

Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston
    Well, the wife and I took a basic handgun class today with Bo from Viking Weapon Training out in League City. Little did I know it was at the same exact place as a group we are a part of who frequently paddleboards at Longhorn Lake. I always wondered what the range was like, now I know.

One thing right off, the range itself is kind off the beaten path which is fine, you wont find champagne and caviar there for sure. However, I have to say how impressed I was with the instructions and rules they have, taking as much as precaution possible to assure their customers are not in any accidents. I, for one, appreciate rules when it comes to firearm handling in a public setting such as that.

Bo, from Viking Weapon Training was awesome. He is passionate and really expresses genuine interest in his students. The basic handgun training was mostly for my wife, but I went with the attitude that I could learn something and would find some instruction on how to be a better shooter. I was not disappointed in those thoughts. By the end of our class and live fire instruction, I was grouping within 2-3 inches consistently. Bo corrected a core grip issue he saw I was experiencing and after it was corrected, I shot better. Also, and I sincerely appreciate this, he made my wife feel a lot more comfortable shooting a firearm. When she and I went to the range ALONE last weekend, she tried out a 38 special revolver, a Bersa 380 and a 9mm Glock 19 . She said the Glock was too much and decided that the Bersa was the most comfortable for her. So much so, that I almost didn't bring the Glock today, glad I did however.

With Bo's instruction and correction in grip, she changed her mind and decided she liked the Glock much better. Go figure! I am actually happy she did...however...we attended the gunshow in Pasadena after the class and her interest in guns peaked much higher than previously. Now she has in her head she wants a Glock 43x - Dang it! Thanks Bo! (J/K) I actually lost track of her a few times at the show because she was moving faster through the tables than I was...which is unheard of...she has ALWAYS been the slowest at shopping for ANYTHING.

It was a lengthy training day, and we are both tired this evening. All and all, a very successful day indeed.

Thanks Zack for the tip on Viking, made for a very good learning experience. Now I know what I need to practice on (with handguns.)

Dave

Last edited:
    Top Bottom