• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmsfmtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Fischer
    Just curious. I was wondering if anyone has, since the new administration took control, picked up a rifle other than one that would be covered under an AWB for personal self defense not hunting? You know one without a pistol grip, without some designated magazine, without a bayonet attachment, or without any other cosmetics they define is dangerous? Just a plain simple bolt, level... action rifle. And what caliber? The reason I am asking is because I have given it some thought. I am not yet decided what I will do if they come out with some stupid rediculous AWB. A lot depends upon my family situtation at the time and several other things.

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    I've thought about picking up a levergun, but not because of the current adiministration.

Or is this only about black rifles?

goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    I wouldn't say any rifle is "Safe" form a ban anymore. They will say your bolt action K98 is a "High powered sniper riffle capable of shooting trough an engine block" If you want something for self defense in a Katrina or LA riot scenario any self loading rifle would be perfect (AK, AR, Mini 14) Id personally take a shotgun over a bolt action. If a gang of thugs comes to take all your stuff i don't think a Bolt Action would be sufficient. I doupt they would confiscate any wepons in an upcoming ban. They might just say no more importation or manufacturing.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would say, this next time around, if they get the next AWB passed it will likely be indefinite without any sunset. If that were to actually happen, IMO that would be the beginning of the end of society as we know it and would likely signal an escalation of anti-gun legislation. If things actually reached that point, I would rather own a gun that (at that point) would be considered illegal since those that would be banned under a new AWB are much more effective tools than anything that would be left out of the AWB.

Semi-automatic rifles serve a very useful purpose. Firearms in general are force projectors. Semi-auto rifles are much more effective force projectors that allow a single person to more effectively defend themselves from a larger number of attackers. Just look in the news lately at some of the robberies/attempted robberies occurring. It's not unusual to see multiple attackers with body armor, and sometimes armed with rifles. In such cases, a handgun or sometimes even a shotgun can leave you at a disadvantage (a shotgun is much better off of course). In the event of something like massive civil unrest and rampant crime due to a complete collapse of the economy, or other situations which I'm sure we're all thinking about but I won't mention, I would much rather have an effective force projector like an AR15, AK47, FAL, or some other semi-auto rifle. Widescale civilian ownership of such firearms really insures that absolutely no one can push law-abiding citizens around (which is the way this country was always intended to be). Not criminals, not foreign invaders, and not even our own government.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Nope, just not interested in other action types... and not that worried about the demoncraps. They well remember losing control of congress after the other AWB, and aren't in any hurry to repeat that.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Almost all of my bolt-action rifles are military, so they all have some evil features like a bayonet mount. The truth of the matter is, buy what you want because everything is going to be grandfathered in. Not even hardcore anti-gun Democrats think that trying to collect guns is going to work.

Top Bottom