Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    House behind ours sold.
    Contractor they hired asked if they could get into our backyard. The neighbors wanted to improve on the fence, as it started to sag.

Their contractor states that since the pickets are facing out, they were responsible to fix the fence. If they had been on the inside, we would be responsible.
    First I ever heard of this, I said help yourself.
    I even talked to the contractor about replacing more 4x4s, asked how much it would be.
    He says "not your problem, I'll talk to the buyers".

Fence was installed prior to our purchase of the house, by the owner. It has zero to do with the house behind us.

Just thought this was interesting.
    Venture Surplus ad

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I'm fenced in on 3 sides, all by stockade fences. 2 are new construction 1 is a recent flip. All 3 are pickets facing the owners of their new fences. Only one removed the old chain link fence before putting up the new fence. All 3 are differents sizes.

Personally if I had one put up I would want the the pickets facing out. I guess these fences are more about being eye pleasing to the owners then security. I also understand pickets out mean they are working from your property.

As much as I hate the old chain link, I figure the stockade will rot & blow over sooner. I don't need my dog get loose.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    What I heard in Houston the picket side belongs to you. That is why they alternate the panels. Trying to get neighbors to pitch in is a pain. I had a house that backed up to 6 different yards. After a wind storm knocked down a portion of each section. What a headache that was.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    What I heard in Houston the picket side belongs to you[/B]. That is why they alternate the panels. Trying to get neighbors to pitch in is a pain. I had a house that backed up to 6 different yards. After a wind storm knocked down a portion of each section. What a headache that was.

The neighbors yard has "zero" fence attached to it. Fence is on my property.
    This is why I was surprised to hear this.

Who is responsible for the fence on the side of my yard, which faces the street, according to this rule?

Of course I know the answer....

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The recent house flip is well onto their property as is the chain link looking at the surveyor flags. I cannot remember but I think the other two are on the other owners side.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    First I ever heard of this, I said help yourself.
    I even talked to the contractor about replacing more 4x4s, asked how much it would be.
    He says "not your problem, I'll talk to the buyers".

Coincidentally, I just bought another flip house on Friday, similar fence issues.

Was told the same by my inspector - first I’d heard of it.

Most of the fencing is mine.
    One run with a neighbor is theirs but it looks crappy, and based on their yard, I don’t see them fixing it.

So I might just help them out and fix it anyway, so my house looks better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    If they are going to replace the fence. Make sure it is put on the property line (survey). That will save headaches down the road. They could try to calm that portion of land and the legal battles are brutal.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'm glad my bordering neighbors are friends, when we need to do fences it shouldn't be an issue. We'll likely split the cost and help each other out building 'em.

Not a thing wrong with that. But many times these issues come up after property has sold and and years after the original property owners had an agreement about the fencing.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I thought the property line is what mattered. Fence belongs to whoever owns the property. If built on the property line than you need to have good neighbors. I just split the cost of a fence with my neighbor.
    For neighbors, the ugly side out means it's your fence. For the street side, pretty side out for your fence. If I pay for a fence, my neighbor is not getting the pretty side.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    The whole "pickets side" responsibility is how my old subdivision went as well, but neighborly folks would help out when asked. Every couple years, I'd get with my neighbors and we'd re-stain the wood to help it last longer. The three folks I shared fence with would all pitch in both $ and labor. I'd buy the stain and sprayers and we'd get it done. But I had good neighbors.

The guy behind me has a helluva time with one of his neighbors helping. That jerk was a Richard Head kinda special guy

Top Bottom