• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Compared to a lot of states (especially ‘western’ states), Texas doesn’t have a lot of open public land upon which shooting is permitted. Most Texas land is privately owned; we don’t have vast tracks of federal or BLM land.
    Venture Surplus ad

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    visited Texas and hard to choose a single area, but really leaning toward Comal county north of San Antonio. Didn't get to see everything in only a weeks time of course.
    I found that most counties seem to default to the 10 acres or less is up for regulation "rule"
    but what's incorporated and unincorporated? How can i tell? how do I know it is a subdivision? (to me that is an area with a bunch of house all built around the same time, some would have HOA and gates)

https://www.co.comal.tx.us/Orders/2019/Order 430 Prohibiting the Discharge of Firearms and Airguns in Subdivisions 10-10-19.pdf

I know there are a ton of ranges around the area but it is nice to shoot on my own land how i want too at what targets i choose.
    it also doesn't seem that there is a lot of state land to hunt to shoot on around that area, kind of a bummer.

If you buy a house, the deed / declaration of CC&R will let you know if you're in a platted subdivision or if there are restrictions, such as no-shooting. THat's not an end-all be all and you'll hafta double check the county regulations too, but from what I"ve seen the restrictions on shooting usually use the term "in a platted subdivision" - technically I'm in a "platted subdivision" on our property - its one of two lots because the former owner used to own the contiguous land, he split it down the middle and put up a 2nd house, sold the other parcel, then sold our parcel.

I was just looking into this again today - and you *can* get your property's subdivision declaration vacated via replatting, but the other property owners in the declared subdivision must consent as well.

AndiTurner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2021
    Bastrop County
    So, just to reiterate from other threads, I am not a lawyer.

That said, a decent real estate agent would know or be able to find quickly in the HOA docs about shooting rules.

Also, I *think* the state requirement is 10 acres but counties can go lower. In Bastrop, where I live, it's five acres. That said, yes make the solid and tall backstop and be the good neighbor that I suspect you are. When I'm sitting on my back porch at 9 or 10 o'clock on a Saturday night, someone near(ish) to us is shooting. Maybe feral hogs? I dunno. Wish I knew who it was so I could wrangle an earlier invitation lol.

I do not give a fig about the time but if I had babies who need to be sleeping, I might care very much.

Also, if you move into a subdivision, the Board can change the rules after you move in. Which is why, if we ever move it will NOT be in a subdivision. (I detest PAMCO but that's another thread lol)

If you need me to provide you with code reference, email me and I'll dig into it.

bk17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Michigan for now
    I really just don't want to buy a house or move everything down there to figure out rules and I have no desire to live in a HOA. I simply want a plot of land with a decent house, good school district, and the freedom to shoot my guns on my said land (in the most safe and respectful manner possible of course, if i wouldnt like some else doing it then i shouldnt do it myself)and towork on and drive my camaro (which seems like a whole new can of worms in TX), enjoy hot weather, hunt, fish, hike, etc.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Op...just read, each word very carefully, of state penal codes that apply or could apply to your situation. You will start to figure out people don’t read and law turns into word of mouth.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I really just don't want to buy a house or move everything down there to figure out rules and I have no desire to live in a HOA. I simply want a plot of land with a decent house, good school district, and the freedom to shoot my guns on my said land (in the most safe and respectful manner possible of course, if i wouldnt like some else doing it then i shouldnt do it myself)and towork on and drive my camaro (which seems like a whole new can of worms in TX), enjoy hot weather, hunt, fish, hike, etc.
    I would avoid any place that had any type of HOA like the plague!

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Yes, it's amazing to see imo. Just a Grey wall coming at you from off in the distance, then monsoon. Idk if ppl call a rainy season but it is the only season it rains afaik
    Those are monsoon storms. They are nothing compared to texas thunderstorms. Although the worst are intense and often bring dust storms with them.

Those storms bring about half of the regions 7 inches of yearly rain over the summer months. I thought they were pretty hood storms till we moved to texas. It dies get fairly humid at times too. Especially if you depend on swamp coolers.

In contrast I got 4 inches of rain in about 3 hours the other night. We have got 7 plus inches of rain over a couple days which is more than most of AZ gets in a year. Texas humidity can be impressive and oppressive but still is nothing compared to 120degree days. I'll take 85 to 90 degrees and the humidity any time.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Any realtor worth a damn will research and inform a prospective buyer of restrictions.
    An interested buyer should ask specific questions regarding shooting and hunting laws and restrictions.
    It's seriously going to vary mile by mile in Texas.

"Lawyer might be worth the asking".

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    True and I get it. Spent a few hours and so far only found one county to actually have the laws/rules/regulations online. I will visit, narrow it down and just start calling sherrifs or DA's. Wishful thinking about having an easy to access rule book, lol.

Every county should (and probably does) have their laws and regulations online. They just might not all have them organized the same way, or even in a logical way. It'll take some digging on the various websites each county has.

GeauxLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2022
    San Antonio
    As always, state law prevails and restricts lower level jurisdictions. This is the relevant state code and then you must research each county you are interested in on what they limit within the state guidelines. https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/LG/htm/LG.229.htm "Most" of the counties are fairly easy to find.

Sec. 229.002. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON. A municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:
    (1) a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:
    (A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and
    (B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or
    (2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:
    (A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

So, if you have 50 acres or more, in an unincorporated area, the county can not prevent you from firing. If you have LESS than 50 acres, it is up to them. As you've pointed out, 'most' default to 10 acres for everything (air rifle, shot gun, rime fire and center fire). But some are less. One was 3 acres (which was surprising but I can't remember which now). I've been searching in the hill country for months for a place to relocate to. Unfortunately, to get what I really want is apparently going to require 7 figures. That's just not happening. :( The hunt continues....

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    So i am looking to move to Texas but yall have some different laws on shooting(target) on your own property then Michigan. Michigan is if you have a safe backstop and not in the city or not hunting then have it. seems Texas is more county by county and have acreage requirements? anyone able to give some insight? keep hearing 10 acres, heard 50 acres for centerfire, heard simply depends on county. Not real sure on where yet but tell ya it will likely be east TX or gulf coast maybe central TX, not further then Austin/ San Antonio, I like trees and gardening too much for the dry west TX. heading down this spring to help narrow down location, both wife and I shouldn't have trouble finding jobs just about anywhere. (I am maintenance (factory/industrial) and wife is a school consular)
    Never had any issues shooting on 10 or more acres anywhere in Texas. Any and all land I’ve ever shot on or family owned was definitely not in city limits. Then again we never referred to it as the backyard, it was simply the pasture.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Also, I *think* the state requirement is 10 acres but counties can go lower.
    yes

Counties can regulate 10 acres or less unincorporated subdivisions.

Sec. 235.022. AUTHORITY TO REGULATE. To promote the public safety, the commissioners court of a county by order may prohibit or otherwise regulate the discharge of firearms and air guns on lots that are 10 acres or smaller and are located in the unincorporated area of the county in a subdivision.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom