Military Camp

Bad neighbors? Hire someone to bulldoze their house.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Reminds me of a friend who owns a bunch of rent houses in OK. Instead of filing eviction proceedings when he needs to evict a non-payer who refuses to leave, he simply removes all the exterior doors under the guise of taking them to his shop (in Houston) for "refinishing". Never really needs to carry through with the latter.

Last edited:

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Damages estimated at $25,000?

Must be a real nice neighborhood.

Reminds me of a friend who owns a bunch of rent houses in OK. Instead of filing eviction proceedings when he needs to evict a non-payer who refuses to leave, he simply removes all the exterior doors under the guise of taking them to his shop (in Houston) for "refinishing". Never really needs to carry through with the latter.

Removing doors has been tried several times here in Texas. It always causes backlash. Not a very adult way of dealing with things and a violation of state law.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...Apartment-renter-Where-is-my-door-5045017.php

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Damages estimated at $25,000?

Must be a real nice neighborhood.

Removing doors has been tried several times here in Texas. It always causes backlash. Not a very adult way of dealing with things and a violation of state law.

Apartment renter: 'Where is my door?' - Houston Chronicle
    One might say not paying your rent isnt a very adult way of dealing with things. Hearing all the horror stories of people renting their houses out was enough for me to decide not to rent out my house when we buy a new one.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    One might say not paying your rent isnt a very adult way of dealing with things. Hearing all the horror stories of people renting their houses out was enough for me to decide not to rent out my house when we buy a new one.

Yeah. I am sure glad I don't rent, because it would really piss me off to have to jump through hoops to kick some piece of shit out who was not paying and in all likelihood trashing my house.
    On the other hand, I'm sure there is a reason this law exists - and I'm sure that reason was some complete asshole who screwed somebody in such a way that the lawmakers felt compelled to act.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas

Owning rental property is not as hard as you think and is one investment that any professional financial advisor worth his/her salt will tell you is the proverbial 'golden goose' of wealth creation.

Nothing beats passive income.

There are nay sayers everywhere when it comes to owning rental property and they always come with horror stories from "a buddy". Not a single one of the nay sayers I've talked to were themselves successful in real estate; in fact most have never even tried because they themselves believed their own nay sayers.

The fact is a properly drawn up rental contract/lease and careful screening of potential renters is very much key. That and keeping the property properly maintained so that your renters feel pride in living in such a well maintained house. When people take pride in something they tend to take care of it.

The very most important elements, regardless of how you decide to do property maintenance are an iron clad rental contract that addresses any foreseeable possible issues with non payment, destruction of property, alterations to the property, parking, pets, among many others AND careful screening of applicants including criminal background checks, credit check, calling the references they provide from places they've rented before, a healthy deposit (should at the very least cover first and last months rent plus $500 to cover any damages), AND a good understanding of the law. All of these are key to having a good and lucrative experience as a landlord.

Tell me I can't write a run on sentence. ;)

I don't understand why there are always the nay sayers but I suspect it has something to do with jealousy and an inane need not to watch those around them succeed, or possibly they may be in the business themselves and don't want competition for the good renters In their area. Regardless of their motives they are like mud building up on your boots, only there to slow you down.

Sling off that mud and get to studying.

There are great people out there everywhere looking for a nice place to rent.

I highly recommend you do some reading and reconsider your decision not to rent.

A few good places to start reading are here:

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/consumer/tenants.shtml

http://www.thelpa.com/lpa/associations/texas.html

http://www.texaspropertycode.org/

http://www.daveramsey.com/article/w...andmoney_realestate/elp_content?atid=davesays

http://m.cbn.com/finance/ramsey082907.aspx

Last edited:

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Are you our own TGT slumlord millionaire? This would be a perfect spot for one of the laughing smilies. What happened to all the smilies?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think only listening to those who have done well in real estate would be just as bad as only listening to those who have done badly.

Kinda like watching the commercials on TV with the disclaimer at the bottom "results not typical".

There is money to be made for sure, but it is not the end all, be all of making money not is it a risk free endeavor.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    An old landlord of mine once said he would never say anything derogatory of a renter when called for a reference, even if they were horrible. His thought was that he didn't want to delay getting rid of a bad tenant in any way.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Owning rental property is not as hard as you think and is one investment that any professional financial advisor worth his/her salt will tell you is the proverbial 'golden goose' of wealth creation.

Nothing beats passive income.

Agreed. However, I will say one thing about investing in rental property: Do it locally if you possibly can. I own rental property in another state and maintenance, upkeep and management problems are magnified by distance.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    OK = Oklahoma, not Texas.

This is why I used the qualifier 'here in Texas'. ;)

Agreed. However, I will say one thing about investing in rental property: Do it locally if you possibly can. I own rental property in another state and maintenance, upkeep and management problems are magnified by distance.

Agreed. You cannot properly manage rental property that is not local without hiring a property management company in the area of the rental(s), which eats away at your return. Found that out the hard way.

Top Bottom