• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I'm not a big Formula 1 fan, but my buddy Tim is and our families were hanging out together tonight while he watched this race. Not even one lap into the race, there's a fiery crash that literally split a car in half and engulfed it in a fireball. Never seen anything like it (Well, ok, in Iron Man 2 when Ivan Vanko attacks Tony Stark during the Monaco Grand Prix, but never anything in real life), and the driver walked away. Red flag stopped the race while they cleared the wreckage and replaced the section of wall the front end of the car pierced as it exploded - the "halo" neck support kept the driver from being decapitated in the middle of the fireball.

Second lap was run under a yellow flag to get the drivers' positions reset, then restarted on the third lap. NOT EVEN one lap into the restarted race, a car got flipped. Holy crap.

See for yourselves.

Gun Zone Deals

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    F1 YT blocked wreck.JPG

Because if you block the vid, no one gets hurt. :facepalm:

Didn't see the race, sorry some one perished (I assume) but after all, racing does have consequences.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Yeah... I saw it happen. Pretty poor coverage by the broadcasting team after the accident. Looking at the remains of the car one certainly has to question how the driver survived much less unstrapped himself and got out of it in the middle of an inferno!

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Saw the vid of the army dragster crash yrs ago. 190 or so into a light standard. Or the Ferrari in 150 mph crash that separated the passenger compartment. They are designed to do that.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    I'm not a big Formula 1 fan, but my buddy Tim is and our families were hanging out together tonight while he watched this race. Not even one lap into the race, there's a fiery crash that literally split a car in half and engulfed it in a fireball. Never seen anything like it (Well, ok, in Iron Man 2 when Ivan Vanko attacks Tony Stark during the Monaco Grand Prix, but never anything in real life), and the driver walked away. Red flag stopped the race while they cleared the wreckage and replaced the section of wall the front end of the car pierced as it exploded - the "halo" neck support kept the driver from being decapitated in the middle of the fireball.

Second lap was run under a yellow flag to get the drivers' positions reset, then restarted on the third lap. NOT EVEN one lap into the restarted race, a car got flipped. Holy crap.

See for yourselves.

The first turn is the most dangerous place. Some years back two drivers bumped tires and one went upside down after a short flight. The driver got out ran back to his pit, got in his backup cars and started from the pits.

I've never seen a fireball, they have been using fuel cells probably after Nikki Lauda's accident. F-1 gets dull with one team being dominant. Haven't watched much since Senna died.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The first turn is the most dangerous place.

Yeah, the first turn got two in a row yesterday. One in lap 1 with the fireball, and one in lap 3 (second lap of racing) when the pink car got flipped.

The fireball was crazy, as well as the fact that the car went right freaking through the barrier and snapped in half. Glad the firesuit and the halo did their jobs and protected the driver, but I'm amazed there's a gap between the firesuit and the gloves that allowed him to be burned. You'd think they'd have that area layered with long gloves under the firesuit sleeves.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Yeah, the first turn got two in a row yesterday. One in lap 1 with the fireball, and one in lap 3 (second lap of racing) when the pink car got flipped.

The fireball was crazy, as well as the fact that the car went right freaking through the barrier and snapped in half. Glad the firesuit and the halo did their jobs and protected the driver, but I'm amazed there's a gap between the firesuit and the gloves that allowed him to be burned. You'd think they'd have that area layered with long gloves under the firesuit sleeves.
    It's really unusual for a fire in F1. Fangio would drive in a short sleeved shirt back in the day when fires were more likely.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    What's with all the sparks coming out from under the cars?

Due to their super low posture or...?

(obviously, I know nothing about this racing stuff)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom