• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Noggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2016
    I am considering buying some 20 gauge "ball and chain" ammo as a home defence load for my wife's pump action 20 gauge.

20gaballchain.jpg

Does anyone have an experience with this sort of load and/or any opinions on it?
    Texas SOT

heavygunner8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    I don't imagine the chain would do anything, as most buckshots aren't going to spread much (in home defense situations) to take advantage of the chain.

check out this youtube video

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Why not just use regular buck? Shotguns have been around for a LONG time and if that type of load was really advantageous I'm sure it would be in common use. Bolo loads have been around for centuries as well. Mostly used for bringing down masts in naval warfare, and mostly fired from cannons.

Also, make sure a shotgun is really her best option. It seems to be the "go to" option for many but it may or not be the most efficient tool depending on the home and the person. Shotguns definitely have some drawbacks which may vary depending on model and action. Trying to avoid starting a huge debate, just make sure it's something your wife is really comfortable with and not something you're telling her is what she needs.

Whatever she plans to use should probably be the firearm she is most proficient with (barring something of very small caliber if she is adequately proficient with a firearm of larger caliber). Even a simple task can be difficult under extreme stress.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    IMHO, stick with buckshot. That bolo round may even have a higher recoil than buckshot. Unless it's a long range shot, say over 25 or 30 yards, there is no advantage to having the slugs chained together. And you don't want to be shooting slugs inside anyway.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    There is no end of weird ammo for shotguns - chain, darts, fireballs, explosives - if you can imagine it, someone has loaded it. Bottom line is that none of these has been picked up by LEOs or prisons or the military. Good ol' buckshot works reliably and effectively. Plus, if you did have to use the shotgun for defense, do you really want to open yourself up to questions about the ammo? "No, sir, I bought the regular stuff off the shelf at WalMart."

Noggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2016
    My wife chose the shotgun herself without any suggestions from me:
    31570-DEFAULT-l.jpg

I recently bought her a couple of boxes of Winchester hollow point slugs and a couple of boxes Herter's double round ball. I was just curious about these "ball and chain" loads but as the video shows they do not appear to live up to their intentions.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My wife chose the shotgun herself without any suggestions from me:
    31570-DEFAULT-l.jpg

I recently bought her a couple of boxes of Winchester hollow point slugs and a couple of boxes Herter's double round ball. I was just curious about these "ball and chain" loads but as the video shows they do not appear to live up to their intentions.

Good for your wife, and you. All too often a husband tried to tell a wife what she needs.

You might consider some low recoil buckshot if recoil is a factor. Even if she isn't recoil sensitive it offers better control and follow up. Will still be plenty effective at home defense distances.

Might also try to find a way to have her run the shotgun under stress. Shortstroking a pump can cause a horrible jam that's a pain to clear.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Staff online

• Vaquero
      Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom