• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Kid down the street got into my WiFi/computer and bought a new Mac computer. Bank refunded the $1700 and said it was not enough for them to bother with. He ordered it in his own name.

What mechanism did he use to order the computer, credit card, debit or was it a saved acct number on a specific site? How did yo wind up finding out it was him?

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Was able to find myself with just first, middle initial, last name and state. Hit and miss on some of the info, but they did have my current address, home and cell number correct. That kinda pisses me off.

We'll see if the opt out thing works.

Kid down the street got into my WiFi/computer and bought a new Mac computer. Bank refunded the $1700 and said it was not enough for them to bother with. He ordered it in his own name.

I'd take him to small claims court and see if you can't get him to refund your bank the money. Get a judgment issued and get it on his record before he does something even worse.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Was able to find myself with just first, middle initial, last name and state. Hit and miss on some of the info, but they did have my current address, home and cell number correct. That kinda pisses me off.

I'd take him to small claims court and see if you can't get him to refund your bank the money. Get a judgment issued and get it on his record before he does something even worse.

The bank was falling over itself to refund my money. But would tell me nothing. The kid was a minor. I got a notice via email that the order was cancelled. That's how I found out what happened. The bank could care less unless its big money or is going to make them look bad. I went to a wired router for a few years

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I got paranoid years ago and stopped using or even carrying my debit card. About 4 years after I stopped using it I got a call from the bank asking if I had just bought gas with my debit card. It only got flagged because I hadn't used my card in so long, but 4 years later? I asked how that could happen and was told some company I had used the card at in the past got hacked and they got my card number.

I don't have a debit card now, and if you want to get in range of my router, you've got to drive through the gate, down the driveway past the driveway alarm and the loose dog just to get in range. It sucks you can't trust anyone anymore. It also sucks the thieves are smart enough to do stuff you never even thought about.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    The bank was falling over itself to refund my money. But would tell me nothing. The kid was a minor. I got a notice via email that the order was cancelled. That's how I found out what happened. The bank could care less unless its big money or is going to make them look bad. I went to a wired router for a few years

so he ordered from a vendor you had a previous account with since you received an email, but did you have a card in file with that vendor? Was your passwords for both wifi and vendor based on your personal, possibly public info? Or was any of the logins saved on your computer like a "remember me?"

I ask not to pick on you but rather to see what you did that may help others in the future.

Bobo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2016
    Last year my landline stopped working. I don't use a mobile phone, long story. Got hold of AT&T and found my phone number had been ported to Magic Jack. Nope not me somehow AT&T tried to put the onus on me. Using the phone number ported to Magic Jack someone called my bank and failed to satisfy the security routine, bank froze my account. The attempted theft amounted to a substantial amount to be wired to the thief. Long story short several bounced checks (due to frozen bank account) no phone for several weeks (wonderful service from AT&T, so wonderful I have a new provider) advising the several credit bureaus and police reports I am still finding odd fraudulent accounts. Good luck this shit is an ongoing problem.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Y'all better than me getting napped unknowingly is one thing. But I know you sorry we bang.
    Yes yes I have heard that argument. But damn sometimes you needs busting in the face

MooseJoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2017
    Sorry to hear that , its a horrible feeling ... I've had my Identity stolen a few years back, sh!t took years to straighten out....

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

Well just a little follow up. Searched again today and can no longer find myself in the search. Looks like the opt out thing does work.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    USAA sent my money to someone else in SA and I had to wait for the other guy to send it back before USAA would send MY money to me. Closed my acct.
    ASAP.
    They ain't what they used to be.
    They used to be good if you were overseas.
    Now, just another dumbass bank.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Yep, the ain't what they used to be, back when it was small and you had to be a commissioned officer to join, but most other banks have gotten a damned sight more dumbass in the interim, IME.

Member of USAA since 1968

Craigslist listed fishing boat been looking for at 6:15 this past Monday AM, 6/19/2017
    Contacted seller at 6:28 AM (five incoming calls to his phone re boat while I was talking)
    Applied USAA, online at 6:50 Monday AM to apply for boat loan, USAA loan approved at 6:52AM

Met with seller, 12PM same day, shook hands on price/deal
    Gave seller personal check on USAA account for down payment
    (seller being Jarhead Vietnam vet served in the same AO helped)

USAA check for balance due to seller mailed, overnight delivery, Monday at 4:38 PM
    USAA check for seller arrive via FedEx 10AM Tuesday

Met owner at his bank Wed, 9AM, presented seller with USAA issued check for balance due
    Bank teller cleared both checks drawn on USAA imediately.
    Drove off, towing my new fishing boat by 10AM

I was in AR the entire time, despite being domiciled/resident in Texas.
    I'll take that kind of service any day ...

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Been with USAA well over four decades myself. They were better, longer ago but times change & I've got no real complaints with them. They are what they are... and better than most.
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.

Top Bottom