• ...and so much more!
  • Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    1000's Sign Petition To Have This Woman Banned From South Africa - JacksGap

For like a week this sh** has been all over my Facebook. People seriously have nothing better to do. I know some people who have signed the petition. They drive me nuts. There is no taking to them. She's not a freaking poacher. I mean the places she would be going to/ being allowed into have regulations and she follows them. She isn't disturbing the population. There are way more important things to get this mad about.

The comments on the article are "amazing" "i agree if she was going to eat those animals, fine but she does that for fun, if she can kill for fun she can kill a human too" How is this logic? I'm pretty sure plenty of people who have never hunted have "Killed a human too".

Ugh okay, rant over.
    Military Camp

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Conservation, population and healthy herds and the real reasons we hunt are never espoused by those folks....

Hunters are the original Conservationists and have provided billions in conservation funds through taxes.

Their political agenda overrides truth and they will never see it.......

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Conservation, population and healthy herds and the real reasons we hunt are never espoused by those folks....

Hunters are the original Conservationists and have provided billions in conservation funds through taxes.

Their political agenda overrides truth and they will never see it.......

Such as it is with most liberal/left views, emotions displace facts in every way.

caleb7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    The conservation organization that guided her hunt spends a lot of its profits on conservation methods, such as rebuilding border fences to keep poachers out or monitoring herds to maintain population sizes. Meanwhile, these so-called activists have never accomplished anything more than generate Facebook likes by sitting on their computers and complaining about what other people are doing.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I can't find it at the moment, but there is an article where the guy points out that African countries that have legal hunting and use revenues generated have much more success in conservation because it's nearly self sustainable. And they have more money to regulate populations...

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    The conservation organization that guided her hunt spends a lot of its profits on conservation methods, such as rebuilding border fences to keep poachers out or monitoring herds to maintain population sizes. Meanwhile, these so-called activists have never accomplished anything more than generate Facebook likes by sitting on their computers and complaining about what other people are doing.

Exactly what I was thinking. She isn't a poacher. She isn't taking the animal in the night. You can't just kill any animal you see on these safaris. You are with guides and government officials. Its not like she's stalking through the jungle shooting the first thing she sees.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Conservation trophy hunting on a threatened species. Hmmm...

You have 400 lb predators live in your backyard sometime and let me know how conservation minded you are toward them.

Americans have a very condescending way of approaching African issues. IMO the European attitude is worse.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    You have 400 lb predators live in your backyard sometime and let me know how conservation minded you are toward them.

Americans have a very condescending way of approaching African issues. IMO the European attitude is worse.

Exactly, most of the game that's hunted in conservation countries are going to be killed either way. Whether they're deemed a danger to the rest of its species, they killed a human, or too many males of its kind in one area.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I mean the places she would be going to/ being allowed into have regulations and she follows them. She isn't disturbing the population. There are way more important things to get this mad about.
    That doesn't mean that trophy hunting is a good thing. Just that it's not illegal. It's one thing if it's for food, depredation, population control, culling destructive traits, etc. But killing something just to show off that you killed it doesn't seem responsible to me.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    That doesn't mean that trophy hunting is a good thing. Just that it's not illegal. It's one thing if it's for food, depredation, population control, culling destructive traits, etc. But killing something just to show off that you killed it doesn't seem responsible to me.

The meat is harvested for the local population.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos

I understand you, but have another thought to add. Do you know how much $$ it costs to do that? I know a guy who spent who knows how many dollars to shoot some weird looking antelope thing in Africa. They needed the money more than he did. If it's a replaceable resource, why not use it? Capitalism, I like it.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I understand you, but have another thought to add. Do you know how much $$ it costs to do that? I know a guy who spent who knows how many dollars to shoot some weird looking antelope thing in Africa. They needed the money more than he did. If it's a replaceable resource, why not use it? Capitalism, I like it.

As I understand it, if you're not up to paying 30k for a vacation then you should even bother asking how much they want. I still have a problem with killing things for fun and money though, even if it's replaceable. But from what southpaw and others said, it's working to cull herds and feed people, so I can't see it as too bad. I'm not too sure about lions - they're not endangered but their numbers are decreasing - but I can think of plenty of reasons to kill one or another particular lion that benefit the herd, the species, and the locals.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not to mention many times the "trophy" animals have been around and breeding for quite some time. They were able to do that in many cases by being the biggest and strongest, such is the case with lions.

Generally, with a large enough population this would work fine and the leader would be replaced from time to time due to natural completion to breed. In the lions case only one male is allowed to breed the females.

With a lower population and less competition the king may not be dethroned often enough causing genetic weakening due to line breeding. This is very bad and can result from weaker animals to birth defects from blindness to still born cubs.

To counter this, from time to time they may sell an extremely expensive "trophy" hunt and allow a hunter to take the animal so that another can replace it and introduce new blood. The line breeding stops, the hunter gets their trophy, and the conservation group gets a major donation to help fund continuing conservation efforts.

In other cases it may be a matter if simple economics. Give up one animal for money to save 3.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    "Herd control" on an apex predator is a flimsy excuse. If the management results in a stable or growing population I don't personally have an issue with it. That said corruption is everywhere in Africa and I take their word that the program is hunting in sustainable numbers with a grain of salt.

Ultimately not our country, not our problem if they trash their resources. Lions aren't going to go extinct any time soon now that more people are ecologically minded. Worst case they get hunted out in Africa and some enterprising texans start having them on the ranch and charge out the ass for a tour or hunt.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If something like African lions (who live and hunt in groups, and are strictly carnivorous, unlike the few predators we actually have that are comparable in size) had existed in North America, we'd have probably killed it to extinction a long time ago.

I don't want to see lions go extinct, but honestly I couldn't blame the locals if they wiped the things out. You want your kids growing up around that?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I don't hunt but I support hunting as taxes and fees from hunters support game management. The animals that she killed appeared to be in excellent physical condition. That would never happen without the funds generated by hunting.

Flash

Top Bottom