• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pros & cons who has one? I'm thinking ground floor only as I just getting to old fat & lazy to climb stairs.

You won't find many cons with a barn. Aesthetics seems to be the only bone to pick with one. But even then... put a little rock and shutters on one and it looks good.

Depending on cost of metal during construction... they more cost efficient. They seal up well too. Also very low maintenance.

Our 65x36 with 1700sqft living space hasn't ran us over a $200 heating/cooling bill for almost 4yrs now. That's with a heating/cooling thermostat range of about 72-75degs.

I'll help anyway I can. Feel free on questions.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    These are new? A guy a mile down the road from me built one about 20 years ago. Like FITW said, he put some rock trim and shutters on it and it looks great. It was kinda weird to see it being built but the end result was a real "I wish I had thought of that" moment for me.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    These are new? A guy a mile down the road from me built one about 20 years ago. Like FITW said, he put some rock trim and shutters on it and it looks great. It was kinda weird to see it being built but the end result was a real "I wish I had thought of that" moment for me.

I've seen a few that made me feel that way. Construction costs could be really low if you knew how to do some of the work.

I had a buddy that finished his own. Had it built, then he did the inside. It was great. Granite in kitchen and baths, giant media room up stairs. 3 car garage in one end.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've seen a few that made me feel that way. Construction costs could be really low if you knew how to do some of the work.

I had a buddy that finished his own. Had it built, then he did the inside. It was great. Granite in kitchen and baths, giant media room up stairs. 3 car garage in one end.
    We fired our builder half way through. He was a squirrel and was worthless.
    I wired the house up myself. Momma painted and stained. I installed all the counter tops. Did the finish plumbing. Saved a lot of money doing the work ourselves.

Cash speaks volumes when your playing the GC.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The coolest thing for me would be having a full garage/shop under the same roof as your house.
    I could pull in through a garage door into the garage/shop and be able to go over to a workbench and work on metal fab/welding projects and just walk into the house portion. Also, I've seen them where they can park a 40 ft motorhome or 5th wheel, inside and have full hook ups. Great for guest quarters or kids sleep overs.

I just don't see a downside to them.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Used to go to one with a buddy of mine that was owned by a friend of his family up in the panhandle that's since been sold. Totally badass. Huge garage/barn on the back end with roll-up doors on both sides. Interior was like any high-end lodge/cabin with stained concrete floors, granite and custom cabinets in the kitchen, big stone fireplace, large slate walk-in showers and nice fixtures in the baths. It was the first one I'd ever been in and knew then I may build one myself one day for my retirement place if the cost is indeed cheaper than traditional.

I couldn't find any pics of the inside, but here's some of the outside.

Attachments

• Through Oct '09 266.jpg
      Through Oct '09 266.jpg
      949 KB · Views: 264
    • Through Oct '09 271.jpg
      Through Oct '09 271.jpg
      846.2 KB · Views: 262
    • Through Oct '09 272.jpg
      Through Oct '09 272.jpg
      758.3 KB · Views: 285

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Used to go to one with a buddy of mine that was owned by a friend of his family up in the panhandle that's since been sold. Totally badass. Huge garage/barn on the back end with roll-up doors on both sides. Interior was like any high-end lodge/cabin with stained concrete floors, granite and custom cabinets in the kitchen, big stone fireplace, large slate walk-in showers and nice fixtures in the baths. It was the first one I'd ever been in and knew then I may build one myself one day for my retirement place if the cost is indeed cheaper than traditional.

I couldn't find any pics of the inside, but here's some of the outside.

Looks windy up there.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Years ago I got to hunt a huge ranch(The Hay Hook) it was around White Deer, Pampa. Totally bad ass.

Totally agree.....the eastern side of the panhandle is outstanding hunting and so varied in the native game with whitetail, mulies and even antelope. Long way from major population centers too, which helps. Been on a couple of pheasant hunts up there that were the coldest I've ever been in my life anywhere.

Anyone who ever says it doesn't get cold in Texas, tell 'em to go spend a winter in Booker, Perryton, Canadian or Dalhart. That'll shut 'em up for the rest of their life on that subject.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom