Barnes Bullet

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ambidextrous1, Feb 29, 2008.

1. ambidextrous1

ambidextrous1 Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That would be a Barnes X bullet. :)

Cor-Bon DPX's are my rounds of choice.

3. ambidextrous1

ambidextrous1 Member

Taurus bullets 1.jpg

Taurus bullets 2.jpg

maybe...

Yes!

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Hydroshock on the right?

5. ambidextrous1

ambidextrous1 Member

Photos first, now the text!

Sorry, I had a terrible time uploading the photos!

The slug on the right is a Gold Dot I loaded on top of 6.1 grains of Bullseye with an OAL of 1.240" and a (predicted) muzzle velocity of 944 fps. This load functioned well in my .45 ACP Colt Defender with 3.5 inch barrel, and also in my friend's full-size Springfield. Surprisingly, measured expansion in wet phonebooks was the same for both pistols, at 0.670 inches (average).

The slug on the left is the Taurus pure copper hollow point, 185 grains (both are 185 grains). Again, expansion was the same for my 3.5 inch barrel and the 5 inch Springfield barrel, averaging 0.830 inches. Yes, they're expensive (I paid about $17 plus shipping for a box of 20), but unless you live in the wrong neighborhood, your annual expenditure for self-defense ammunition will still be small. ;)

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Rich (in name only)

6. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've been thinking about buying some Barnes bullets for reloading .45 and 9mm when I get started with those. The weight retention is amazing. Both my 1911, and my S&W M&P9 feed hollow points with no problems, so I'm really thinking about trying some out.