Barrel switching on Contenders, is it legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    So long as it does not have a stock. There is no definition on barrel length with a pistol to my knowledge.

If you use the pistol receiver then it is a pistol. Swapping the 14" barrel onto a receiver marked a rifle would require an SBR Form, but may be classed as an AOW (Any Other Weapon) since it does not fit the defined definition of a rifle due to the lack of a stock.

This is my understanding, you will want to verify this with either the ATF, or a Class III dealer.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    So long as it does not have a stock. There is no definition on barrel length with a pistol to my knowledge.

If you use the pistol receiver then it is a pistol. Swapping the 14" barrel onto a receiver marked a rifle would require an SBR Form, but may be classed as an AOW (Any Other Weapon) since it does not fit the defined definition of a rifle due to the lack of a stock.

This is my understanding, you will want to verify this with either the ATF, or a Class III dealer.
    As far as I know you can put a rifle barrel and stock on a contender frame. T/C used to sell kits for that purpose. Just don't install a pistol barrel on the frame with a rifle stock.

bfm0072

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Georgetown
    I have an older model contender and it is not marked "Rifle Only". I knew there was some hoopla with TC and ATF over the ability to switch around. I have never heard a definitive outcome to that. So I was curious.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom