• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    A question for those of you in the know. Would a bullet described by the manufacturer as a "barrier defeating round" be illegal for us mortal citizens to posses?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Here is what I found. No where does it indicate "armor piercing".

Winchester Bullets 5.56mm (224 Diameter) 62 Grain Open Tip Match
    Product #326584Winchester # E129958
    “……Winchester’s 62 Grain Open Tip Match bullet was designed as a barrier defeating bullet to be loaded in their FBI contracted round………..”

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here is what I found. No where does it indicate "armor piercing".

Winchester Bullets 5.56mm (224 Diameter) 62 Grain Open Tip Match
    Product #326584Winchester # E129958
    “……Winchester’s 62 Grain Open Tip Match bullet was designed as a barrier defeating bullet to be loaded in their FBI contracted round………..”

It's totally legal. It's just a lead core OTM bullet, so nothing particularly fancy.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Know nothing about handgun/rifle applications. Somebody here is bound to know.

Is this what you looking for?????

Armor-piercing ammunition, sometimes referred to as metal-piercing ammunition, is ammunition that is designed primarily to penetrate metal or armor, including body armor commonly worn by police officers. Under federal law, armor-piercing ammunition is defined as any projectile or projectile core that may be used in a handgun and that is constructed entirely from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium.[SUP]15[/SUP] In addition, armor-piercing ammunition is defined as a full jacketed projectile “larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.”

as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(17)(B).

Miloe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    DFW
    I always thought it ment that the bullet was just designed to not come apart quite so easily when it hit something.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Midway USA was selling the "Barrier Defeating" bullets a while back. They were advertised as FBI overruns.

I used to shoot at 1/4" steel plate with .223 FMJ and I can say without hesitation that those projectiles will slice a perfect hole in steel plate. The jacket stays on the forward side and the core slices through the plate easily. I was hanging the plates from nylon parachute cord and they would swing easily. That made no difference. The .223 FMJ punched perfect holes in the plate 100%.

Flash

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The distance varied but most was at 100 yards. The holes the FMJ punched were perfect.....like a hot knife going through butter!

I had access to a shear at work so I took scrap plate and sheared strips which I cut into rectangles of 3x5 or 5x7 inches. I punched two holes at the top and hung them from parachute cord. They would swing freely but that made no difference to that .223! ZIP....right through it. Seeing the jacket stuck on the front side was interesting, too. We did this a lot and it was virtually 100% effective unless you caught a corner and it twisted. It would deflect the projectile, then.

Flash

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    PSA and some other vendors were selling some contract overrun Federal MK318 SOST barrier 5.56mm cartridges a while back. I picked up a couple boxes.

Should be fine. The federal law against AP ammo applies only to pistol cartridges.

Top Bottom