• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    As a prerequisite to the LTC instructor school, I would like to get some feedback on good places to take the NRA basic pistol/Instructor coarse. I'm in the Houston area, but feel free to mention any schools in Texas you may have knowledge of. I'm especially interested to know if anyone has any knowledge of the school Bill Arnold runs in Stafford Texas named Armed Ed Academy. Thanks to everyone in advance for your input.
    Target Sports

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    My experience with NRA basic pistol if you are just looking to check a box for LTC instructor then all are about the same. I went to one just for giggles, and was so disappointed in the quality that I never sent in the certs to NRA.

The NRA LE Instructor classes I have taken have been awesome

Asymmetrical

The harmony of the Pen and the Sword
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2018
    Texas
    Where in DFW would one be able to take such courses? Who are the reputable instructors/schools? How comprehensive are the courses?
    All this stuff seems like some closely guarded secret, in terms of finding any useful information about it.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    What makes a good instructor for you and/or someone you would recommend to a new gun owner? Here are few suggestions from the NRA's American Rifleman blog.

From what I have read there are a few million first time gun owners especially since 2020 and maybe a few on this forum. I wonder about their level of training they have sought out. I don't advocate that one must be 'trained' before owing a gun. Just that they get training on their own for safe and responsible gun ownership sooner than later.

That being said the referenced article above has some worthwhile criteria. A big help nowadays to find a good instructor is many of the better ones have a presence on social media, published book authors, write for gun magazines, been in business for years, and demonstrated mastery of their subject matter.

What is important to you? My choices has been affected by travel, cost and time to take the course. Do we have any 'good instructors' in TX that you would recommend? Or instructors who travel on regional/national basis and will be in TX in 2022 or 2023?

Attachments

• melloni-5signsgoodinstructor-1.jpg
      melloni-5signsgoodinstructor-1.jpg
      61.7 KB · Views: 69

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    What makes a good instructor for you and/or someone you would recommend to a new gun owner? Here are few suggestions from the NRA's American Rifleman blog.

From what I have read there are a few million first time gun owners especially since 2020 and maybe a few on this forum. I wonder about their level of training they have sought out. I don't advocate that one must be 'trained' before owing a gun. Just that they get training on their own for safe and responsible gun ownership sooner than later.

That being said the referenced article above has some worthwhile criteria. A big help nowadays to find a good instructor is many of the better ones have a presence on social media, published book authors, write for gun magazines, been in business for years, and demonstrated mastery of their subject matter.

What is important to you? My choices has been affected by travel, cost and time to take the course. Do we have any 'good instructors' in TX that you would recommend? Or instructors who travel on regional/national basis and will be in TX in 2022 or 2023?
    You might start a dedicated thread on the subject. There are quite a few here that are instructors and you might find one that is close to you.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    You might start a dedicated thread on the subject. There are quite a few here that are instructors and you might find one that is close to you.
    Thanks for the suggestion to start a new topic. I didn't want to clutter the forum with too many topics. I will repost these comments later today in the Beginner Articles under How-to-section.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Thanks for the suggestion to start a new topic. I didn't want to clutter the forum with too many topics. I will repost these comments later today in the Beginner Articles under How-to-section.
    I'd just start a new thread, listing what you are looking for in an instructor/trainer, and a general location of where you are, and maybe how far you are willing, or able to travel for the course.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    And where would I find your thread? I have been looking in all the wrong places I guess.

Attachments

• lost.jpg
      lost.jpg
      15.8 KB · Views: 51

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The first post did an excellent job of describing the exact info requested. I'm puzzled why the discussion is going off on several tangents.

Odd. Just odd.

Top Bottom