• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Anyone here close to or in Bulverde that not only plays but teaches bass guitar as well

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I know a few bassist but they are not teachers, however I would be happy to ask them if they have any recommendations for the SA area (preferably on the North side )

Are you looking for lessons for you (adult) or a youngin'?

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I know a few bassist but they are not teachers, however I would be happy to ask them if they have any recommendations for the SA area (preferably on the North side )

Are you looking for lessons for you (adult) or a youngin'?
    For me. I'm only adult by age though

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    If I had more time I'd love to teach you... I have 4 kids and a full time job though so my time is a little too limited these days

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    To get started on bass, and if you don't already know basic music theory, you will benefit from an introductory course in the basics of music theory .... what you're shooting for as a bassist, is most importantly a basic understanding of "chords", and which notes are used to make then.

The knowledge of "chords" is the very essence of bass playing ... you need to have it.

Any music teacher, or accomplished musician, self taught or otherwise can show you that ... and they don't really need to be that proficient on bass.

Basically, the idea is find someone to show you the concept of how the bass is used in most Western music.

Once you understand the basic concepts of chords, and which note of a chord to play in time with a simple tune, the best thing you can do after that is to play along with any recorded music you like and rock along.

Hard to beat country music to learn the standard three chord tune, and when to play the usual first and fifth note of a chord along with the tune.

Give this young lady a call, don't know her personally but, despite her age, heard some good things about her from musician friends in SA:

https://takelessons.com/profile/alix-w

Break a leg ...

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    To get started on bass, and if you don't already know basic music theory, you will benefit from an introductory course in the basics of music theory .... what you're shooting for as a bassist, is most importantly a basic understanding of "chords", and which notes are used to make then.

The knowledge of "chords" is the very essence of bass playing ... you need to have it.

Any music teacher, or accomplished musician, self taught or otherwise can show you that ... and they don't really need to be that proficient on bass.

Basically, the idea is find someone to show you the concept of how the bass is used in most Western music.

Once you understand the basic concepts of chords, and which note of a chord to play in time with a simple tune, the best thing you can do after that is to play along with any recorded music you like and rock along.

Hard to beat country music to learn the standard three chord tune, and when to play the usual first and fifth note of a chord along with the tune.

Give this young lady a call, don't know her personally but, despite her age, heard some good things about her from musician friends in SA:

https://takelessons.com/profile/alix-w

Break a leg ...

1, country will definitely reach you chords, progressions, and repetition

2, I disagree about chords being THE essential (and maybe I'm just misunderstanding here). Scales are equally as important as good rock and blues bass lines tend to ramble on a scale a bit. Took me a looooong time to learn how important scales were. I wish I knew sooner.

Say, what kind of music are you looking to play anyways?

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    I'll chime in here, standing with Karlac. You can learn to play the bass, technically and proficiently, with scales - absolutely. But, you must know chords, keys, and some theory to be able to play....with others!

You can rock all day by yourself with scales, and get very good at technique. It's a great practice tool and is very important to great playing. Chords will help you gel with your band mates much better though. And that, imo, is more important than being able to play by yourself...In one's apartment........In one's underwear.... :-D

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    And that, imo, is more important than being able to play by yourself...In one's apartment........In one's underwear.... :-D
    threadjack

Q. What do you call a bass player without a girlfriend?

A. Homeless.

/threadjack

;-)

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    threadjack

Q. What do you call a bass player without a girlfriend?

A. Homeless.

/threadjack

;-)
    Q: How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb?

A: They all just stand around saying they can do it better than you...

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Great post Karlac! I bought a bass guitar and have dabbled in making noise with it. The goal was to play the bass solo in Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" and it's already figured that out.

HMMMM what to do, now? I try not to get too serious. For me, it's about "Playing" music.....snicker. If I get frustrated, it's time to pull out the harmonicas.

Flash

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    1, country will definitely reach you chords, progressions, and repetition

2, I disagree about chords being THE essential (and maybe I'm just misunderstanding here). Scales are equally as important as good rock and blues bass lines tend to ramble on a scale a bit. Took me a looooong time to learn how important scales were. I wish I knew sooner.

Actually, you're not in disagreement at all ... "scales" are the first thing learned when taking the first step mentioned above: of learning "the basics of music theory".

And "scales" are precisely what *most "chords" are based upon: (example: a major chord being the first, third and fifth note of a particular "scale").

*There are exceptions, but that is far beyond what is needed to get stated playing bass.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Great post Karlac! I bought a bass guitar and have dabbled in making noise with it. The goal was to play the bass solo in Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" and it's already figured that out.

HMMMM what to do, now? I try not to get too serious. For me, it's about "Playing" music.....snicker. If I get frustrated, it's time to pull out the harmonicas.

Flash

Been playing bass, both on records and in bands professionally for over 40 years and still enjoy sitting down and playing along with, and learning from, a tune I just heard that caught my ear.

Great way to just kick back and relax, and nothing more satisfying than playing music, even if it is with a band-in-a-can. ;)

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Who's Fleetwood Mac?!?

Just kidding.... I learned that solo once upon a time as well. I have hardly played a note in the 7 years since I've moved to Texas. Had to sell most of my stuff after I moved when I was laid off.

I gotta say though, I started the same way except instead of Fleetwood Mac it was a song called 46&2 from the band TOOL. That's the one that started my obsession.

I'm no master like Karla but did play in a band for a little in Lincoln Nebraska 15 years ago. It was great. It's hard to find musicians with interests like mine though so I wasn't ever able to get a new band formed up. Everyone wants to sound like Metallica or Linkin Park... Blat!!!

Now I'm trying to teach my daughter's the love of music I have.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Thanks for all the input and the jokes. I can read music somewhat. I took piano lessons when I was little. There is some basic music theory in my head somewhere. I manly just want to play for fun. I like a variety of music. I have books on learning. Just would like to have a real person there to help me

Top Bottom