• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    I think its very important to be proficient in your own weapon but also to be able to perform with other's weapon as well. Whenever you go shooting with a group of friends, or have the opportunity to shoot MANY MANY different types of guns and manufactures, take the opportunity to see how other guns works, their trigger pull and ease of use. keep in mind the main steps of clearing a malfunction. TAP AND RACK. if that doesn't work, lock the slide and rip the mag, work the slide a few times and then tap and rack again. being bored and having many gun friends gives you a great opportunity to try this. and i bet its pretty damn fun too!
    Venture Surplus ad

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Definitely good advice. It is for this primary reason that I've tried to stay away from really modifying any of the handguns I've owned with things like target sights, match grade triggers, etc etc. I had one brain fart where I actually put a set of adjustable target sights on the SW99 I used to own because I "couldn't shoot "right" with the stock sights. ;) I have since learned how to shoot a bit better and to stop blaming the gun. lol I like the idea of not using gun mods as a crutch, and rather learning how to work with what I got so that it will hopefully make me that much better at using a wider variety of handguns as opposed to becoming dependent on crutch items to get the job done.

For my tastes, I LOVE drills like tap/rack/bang, and other malfunction drills. It seems when many people start out, they are very careful with manipulating anything on the gun, almost like they are afraid they might break something. It's really great once you realize the things are made of indestructible polymer, steel, alloys, or other incredibly durable materials. ;)

On another note, I need to buy some more Promags. You don't even need to modify those pieces of crap and they already allow you to perform malfunction drills if you catch my drift. I guess they are useful for something after all.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    It is always great to get trigger time on a wide range of firearms.When I was in the Army we cross trained with weapons from all over the World.

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    Ya right, this is how I ended up with half my guns...I got to trying out a different weapon system and wanted one for my self

Anyhow, This is some really good advice. I don't care if I like a weapon system or not, I want some hands on time...including field stripping. You just never know what the future has in store. Another thing you can do is buy some snap caps...these work great for FTF (failure to fire drills).

I'm also a FIRM believer in Irons and sending a ton of lead down range. People should be proficient with their firearm before installing optics. Now I'm not talking about sending 5000rds of XM193 down range through your AR. I couldn't aford to do it and don't except you to do it. My goal on new firearms is to send 300-500rds down range on pistols and 1000rds through a rifle.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom