• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Saw a set of these today and thought I would pass it on.

The set I looked at was not that overly impressive, but that is not the reason you would buy them in the first place.

Fairly simple grips made out of pine (I think, the maker did not even know the type of wood for sure........) from the deck boards removed during the last set of renovations to the battleship. Not the original boards on the ship, but replacements from the time it has been a museum.

Think of them as more of a donation to the cause.
    From my understanding, $65 of the $100 cost is tax deductible as a charitable contribution.

What they don't tell you in the web description is that there is also laser engraving on the inside, so you know they are authentic.

https://battleshiptexas.org/product/grips-made-from-deck-wood/

colts_frame1.jpg

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Battleship decking SHOULD be teak, if I'm not mistaken. At least it is on the Iowa class battleships.

I'm a Battleship Sailor. Yes, deck boards are teak.

Is it just me, or do those look a bit too thick?

You are right, and it should not be concrete either, that was the stuff they had on it before the replaced it a couple of decades ago with the cheap ass pine stuff. Remember, this ship as been a underfunded, brokeass, museum ship since April 1948. They have done an outstanding job of putting bandaids on the wounds to make it appear correct. They have worked miracles with almost no money and should be commended for even keeping it afloat. However, as in most things like this accuracy and perfection are a pipe dream.

No way these are made from original deck boards. However they are made from some crap they used to simulate the original decking until it was taken off last year or so.

Hope that clears it up...................

As far as thickness, they felt normal, very light and less than solid feeling, but around what most would consider normal size.

Last edited:

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Unless it's really well stained it does look like teak. If so that would really be cool. It possibles hen they replaced the deck with pine there was still some of the original deck that was still serviceable and it was left in place.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Wow what a cool piece of history. I would never use them as they appear to be about 1/2" thick per panel, but soooooo cool... I have so many fond memories of climbing around the battleship like a monkey as a child, getting into things that I wasn't supposed to... Reminds me of the good old times with my dad...

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Mikewood, it they had been made of original Teak, I would not have posted a picture of them from the website. The picture would have come from my workbench as I was preparing to install, and post installation, a pair on one of my 1911's :)

Wish they had some original teak for sale from the ship. Alas, this is some version of pine that came from the repairs she underwent in Greens Bayou from Feb - July 1990.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Friend bought one of the battleship tx 1911's, these should have come on that gun

I'll forward him the info

From my secret cel phone the NSA doesn't track !

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Those grips are beveled on the bottom it just makes them appear really thick

sent from the bathroom

Top Bottom