• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Wife is going in for surgery which has been planned for months. Yesterday she gets a call that they want $500 BEFORE she has the procedure. Ihave had her take voice mail if they call back and I will return the call. She has full boat insurance and no money until services rendered.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've run into this more and more where the healthcare provider doesn't care about the insurance, they want some money up front. If I call my insurance company, they'll tell me in no uncertain terms to pay nothing before care is provided so that they can get the bill, pay their amount, negotiate any overcharges, then tell me what to pay. Hospitals don't want to go along with that.

Before my mom died, I took her to a couple of hospitals that were downright nasty about it. The person checking my mom into the hospital had nothing to do with insurance, just check-in. Therefore, that person had a script to go by that said to get a payment for a certain amount before completing the paperwork. Period. No negotiations.

I've had to butt heads over this issue more than once.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Wonder who made the call?

Baylor did.

Happens all the time, surg. Center wants to get paid.

Of all of the surgeries that I have had I have never been called or paid upfront. The scams they run to get others to pay their losses from previous dead-beats is not our problem. Anyone here ever been screwed by a hospital AFTER a visit? Did they try to extort HUGE sums of money and try to screw you financially? They are getting nothing upfront. No pay until services rendered.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Anyone here ever been screwed by a hospital AFTER a visit?
    Probably everybody.

Did they try to extort HUGE sums of money and try to screw you financially?
    As in charging $20 for an aspirin? As in charging $500 for some doctor that no one ever heard of or talked to who supposedly took 10 seconds to walk in and out of the room while the patient was asleep?

Oh, yeah.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I've had two major surgeries done at Baylor and both times they discussed the total cost of the surgery, how much was going to be paid by my insurance and how much I would be on the hook for. They were professional and courteous and although they requested that I pay my portion upfront, never suggested that it was mandatory. When I received my EOBs from United Health Care it reflected accurately what had been discussed with Baylor and there were no surprises. My surgeries were both pre-Obamcare though which may something to do with the OP's experience.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I've had two major surgeries done at Baylor and both times they discussed the total cost of the surgery, how much was going to be paid by my insurance and how much I would be on the hook for. They were professional and courteous and although they requested that I pay my portion upfront, never suggested that it was mandatory. When I received my EOBs from United Health Care it reflected accurately what had been discussed with Baylor and there were no surprises. My surgeries were both pre-Obamcare though which may something to do with the OP's experience.

Great news as we also have United Health Care. Since Baylor has started to push this off track I sure hope it doesn't get worse. I will be there from start to finish to make sure I record everything. When they squeeze in bogus charges I will report them. They've stung me twice and had to report them each time.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    My wife used to work intake at an ER and her instructions were to get money upfront if at all possible.

And she was incented to do so. She received a quarterly bonus check of a percentage she collected at intake.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Wife just gave birth to our new son, and while in the recovery room here comes some doofus in a cheap suit trying to get me to cut him a check or give him a credit card. Uh, no. Go away. He was doing his best to be as pushy and persistent as he could be without outright pissing people off.

Top Bottom