BB/Pellet Gun for a minor?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Pearl Trade, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Pearl Trade

Pearl Trade New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Spring
    I am 16 years old, and I was wondering if I could purchase a BB gun or pellet gun without my parents permission.

If you need to know anything else that could help with the answer I'd be glad to tell you.

2. blacksheep

blacksheep Member

Aug 9, 2009
    the range
    "You'll shoot your eye out" ( A Christmas story ) sorry I could'nt resist.:rofl:

3. Pearl Trade

Pearl Trade New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Spring
    haha

that's a great movie, and I knew someone would eventually say that

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I think you have to be 18 to buy a BB gun. Give your local Academy's a call and they can tell you.

5. Fisherman777

Fisherman777 Well-Known

Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Hi Pearl,

Is there any reason that you would want to do anything without your parents permission?

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't think he want's to do it behind their back, so much as he wants to know if he can just show up and buy the thing.

7. Pearl Trade

Pearl Trade New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Spring
    Yes, because I personally see nothing wrong with taking a gun into the back yard and shooting at targets such as cans and paper. I know the basic safety requirements of a gun and I know that there are consequences to bad actions. My parents are not willing to at least let me get one and help me learn to use it.

I can understand why they feel that way, but I would still like to know if it is legal for me to buy a BB gun or pellet gun without their permission.

That is also part of the reason Texas 1911, seeing as how a common store like Walmart would be selling them.

8. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If your parents don't want you to have one then I would respect that wish. They pay for the roof over your head and for alot of other things. I would try to reason with them.

Buying a pellet gun behind their back might not solicit a good response. Many people, parents included, have extreme fears of guns and are apt to react rather irrationally.

9. Pearl Trade

Pearl Trade New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Spring
    Your responses have made me rethink my wanting to get an air gun. I most likely will not end up getting one any time soon, but I would still like to know the laws regarding this.

10. frijolero817

frijolero817 Member

May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Ask them if you can get an airsoft gun just for fun if they don't approve of a bb gun. I have to agree with Texas 1911 though, it would only be right to do something that your parents approve of. Do the responsible thing and you're parents will grow to trust and respect you.