• IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have been to several stores in Houston and have been unable to find

BIRCHWOOD CASEY G2A13 GUN SCRUBBER SYNTHETIC SAFE

I have noticed that many of the online stores are also out of it. Have they discontinued it? It is my favorite cleaner....

I know there are a myriad of other choices, but it has given me good results.
    Venture Surplus ad

hangtree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    South Texas
    Running into the same problem here. I can find it online tho. When I can't get any locally, I buy 3M Brake Cleaner. It's the only brand of brake cleaner I can find that doesn't say to cover rubber and plastic parts before spraying. I have used it on several synthetics and have had no problem. I couldn't find the 3M in the name brand part houses but found it locally at NAPA auto parts.
    Dunno what the deal is with BC on this patricular item.
    Good luck!

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I use non chlorinated walmart brand brake cleaner. Like GS it works great as a degreaser but it is not a substute for scrubbing with a tooth brush thinggy and using hoppes 9.

I scrub the whole gun up with hoppes 9 and loosen all the crud then blast it off with break cleaner. Same thing with the bore, I scrub it with 9 and blast out the crud with the break clean.

Then I use CLP to detail clean, and lube the gun, run a patch down the bore too.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have been advised by Birchwood Casey that all 10oz and 13oz cans contain the synthetic safe formula, even though it is not specified anywhere on the can. None of the old product was ever shipped in these sizes. If it is 10oz or 13oz, you are covered.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    They may be running into problems with environmental rules. Houston/Galveston area is designated as a Severe Ozone Nonattainment Area and has serious (think California) regulations being imposed on it in order to try to reduce pollution.

See, nobody minds when COMPANIES have to make sacrifices, but ultimately the same kinds of rules affect the things we buy - like paints, solvents, glues, dyes, cleaners, etc.

The sad part is that it's all a game. Some of the worst ozone days in Houston occurred a few years ago when there was a lot of forest clearing going on in Mexico. Controlling minor emissions won't change the air quality, but it's a game the state has to play in order to comply with federal law.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michaelm18
    Top Bottom