• Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    We learn from our mistakes (hopefully).

Keep doing manly shit but be smart about it.

'Tis but a scratch.
    I've had worse worse.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    My Mom was about 65 when she decided to go up on the roof to clear some downed willow branches. ( we had an agreement she would never go on the roof). A large branch snapped back at her, hit her on the head and she did a complete summersalt fell 10 ‘ to the ground and landed on her feet ( she has always been athletic…..and this time lucky too) . She walked away with a small knot on her forehead.
    judges_scorecard-100579647-orig.jpg

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Had a cape cod style house, wanted to clean the chimney. Get up on the roof, couldn't get down. I'm banging on the roof to get my wife's attention, yelling for help. Finally she came out, she said she heard the banging and thought I was hammering. Next time I tied a rope around the chimney, didn't help much. After that I started cleaning from the inside up, a little messier but safer.
    I did the same thing back in May. I got on the roof to clean the leaves out of the channels. After I finished realized I could not get enough traction to make it back to the peak and across to reach the ladder. I did not have my phone on me or I could have called a neighbor to move the ladder for me. It started to rain so I had to climb into a tree and climb down on it.

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Shop Dummy no longer allowed on a ladder.

Next door, retired roofer neighbor (who I found deceased one morning at 83, from a heart attack, in the comfort of his recliner), was still climbing a 20' ladder to clean out his gutters the week before he passed.

Seems all these old Arkies, who make it that far, have a squirrel or two in the family tree ...

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble

Next door, retired roofer neighbor (who I found deceased one morning at 83, from a heart attack, in the comfort of his recliner), was still climbing a 20' ladder to clean out his gutters the week before he passed.

Seems all these old Arkies, who make it that far, have a squirrel or two in the family tree ...
    Yep, most are nuts. :laughing: :laughing:

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm

My Mom grew up in a TN farming family and was tuff as nails. I compare my childhood to hers and even as simple as we lived, it was relatively the lap of luxury compared to her childhood

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    My father when he re-upped in the Corp for WWII was one of two men who would dive off the battleship’s yardarm gripping one thumb in the other fist. I believe the Colorado.

At 60 he was still dancing a 20 foot ladder 4 feet off center both ways on one ladder leg.

I was on a cane for over a year with a bad knee. Couldn’t stand on it. I would get on the roof of the house and the garage doing heavy tree trimming on pines and live oak. Had a bit of an audience every time.

Not bragging, I can’t even do floor after my recent bought of illness.

Last edited:

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I have an older single story rancher and I only climb on the roof once every 2-3 years to take down the copper weather vane and clean it. Each time I do I move like a snail across the 20’ distance and triple check my footing and grip stepping on and off the ladder. 20 years ago I would skip across the roof like a mockingbird; now, I apply a risk factor to everything I do and act accordingly.

Roof climbing is for 20 year old aliens

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I had a bit of a fall today. I was in town so I decided to trim trees off the roof and hang Christmas lights early. It began raining and footing became slippery. I fell from about 5’ and landed chest first on my fence. My wife insisted I go get X-rays to make sure I didn’t crack a rib. I wasn’t very enthused since it’s not the first time I’ve busted up my ribs before but luckily nothing is fractured.
    Dang it boy!

Sure glad you are alright!

(now? did they git ya on vid? Ya could be a youtube starr!) :roflfunny:

Top Bottom