Join TexasGunTalk

Beaches in Galveston good for dipping/swimming?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Riksors, May 26, 2020.

1. Moonpie

Moonpie U.S. Rifle M1 caliber .30 Lifetime Member

Hazards of the beach are many but relatively minor.

Stingrays are always present. Just drag your feet when you walk in the water.
    Stepping down on one is usually how you get nailed. Painful experience.
    I've been fishing on the coast for 40yrs and never been popped.

Another hazard is jellyfish.
    These stings can be mild to OMFG.
    Most outdoor places sell special medical wipes just for these. Its simple easy to pick up a few next time you're down at Academy and take them with you on beach day.

Dead hardhead catfish spines. People like to throw these useless fish up on the sand to die after landing one. What then happens is you have a dam punji stake waiting for you. Its will be covered in rotten fish flesh to boot. Watch where you step.
    If you hook one be very careful removing it from your fishing line as the little heathens are experts at sticking their spines in your hands.
    Painful as hell. Not usually severe enough to require medical attention but can get infected.

Trash left by people.
    Oh lawd the blood curdling tales I could relate.
    Broken bottles, syringes, dildoes, dead dogs, soiled baby diapers, I could go on. Watch where you step. Especially back in the dunes.

Sunburn.
    Wear sun screen and proper clothing. Just because its cloudy does not mean you will not be cooked. If there is a shadow you are getting UV rays. Skin cancer sucks. It really is quite easy to prevent.
    Drink lots of cool water. Its hot as hell.

Mosquitos.
    Bring mosquito repellant. Mosquitos usually aren't a problem during daylight hours. Not always tho. Some days the wind brings them out of the marsh behind the beach. Once the sun goes down LOOK OUT! They'll eat you alive.

Get everything you need before you get on the island. Gas, ice, food, water, fishing bait, etc. It is sometimes available but at inflated prices. Its not always available. Especially later in the day.

TX OMFS, Riksors and EZ-E like this.
  2. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015

3. Mohawk600

Mohawk600 Well-Known

Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Texas beaches suck. They stink......they are murky.....no waves for surfing because the Gulf is a big saltwater bathtub of sludge. Go to FL.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 Professional Troublemaker, and Dog Whisperer!

Dec 15, 2019
    Deep East Texas
    Feel free to leave at any time! Personally, I like most of Texas coastline. I have some really fond memories of Galveston when my father and mother were still married and took us there.

Whistler and EZ-E like this.
  5. Mohawk600

Mohawk600 Well-Known

Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Born and bred here.....will die here. That doesn't change the fact that Texas beaches suck.

6. EZ-E

EZ-E Freedom vs Tyranny 2020 TGT Supporter

May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Guess youve never been on PINS to the end of the Mansfield Jetty.... some of the most beautiful water we have in the state.

Axxe55 likes this.
  7. skfullen

skfullen In the woods... TGT Supporter

The smell of the salt water and sound of the crashing waves will keep me visiting the beach - here in Texas.

Axxe55 and EZ-E like this.
  8. sobi1998

sobi1998 Active Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Lived within 30 minutes of Galveston all my life. This sums up Galveston, we got excited because a storm made the water slightly clear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Gilbertc13

Gilbertc13 Active Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    We took our dogs to Bryan beach in Freeport today. Beach was clean. Not crowded. 0505b66c584880a82662a18dfae1b073.jpg c3658650c6e9059fa9fc014dcbcfff91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

toddnjoyce, Vaquero, EZ-E and 2 others like this.
  10. SA_Steve

SA_Steve Active Member

Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Even when I was a kid all the way to a grown up in Houston, we never went to Galveston for the beach. Long drive to Padre or maybe nearby Surfside, Freeport. There was a time when the tar/grease/wax balls made Galveston beaches a disaster.

What amazes me are all the condos and crazy priced beach houses that have sprouted up there. Somebody likes it.

Wonder if Tilman F. still owns all the politicians including the sheriff ?

I've had some business in Galveston which took me all over the island for many years and fondly remember when the restaurants there had flounder, red snapper, trout, things that I suppose are game fish only nowadays.

TxStetson likes this.