• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I picked up a Savage 12 FV for dirt cheap not long ago for a budget trainer. The rifle is pretty nice but the stock shouldn't even be used on a pellet rifle. Not wanting to spend a lot of money on a stock (that would keep this from being a good deal overall) I went with a Boyd's Tacticool stock.

I've never bedded a stock so I've been reading and watching videos for weeks trying to learn everything I can. I decided to install pillars also because if I'm going to do it, I'm going to go all the way.

The first thing I did was inlet the stock. I left wood around the mounting holes so I could test fit and see how much and where I needed to remove material.

qqyhok.jpg

Then I used a 5/8" Forstner bit to make room for the pillars. The instructions called for a 9/16" bit but that would have been an impossibly tight fit.

15rbfxz.jpg

The rear pillar needed a notch in it to leave room for the sear so I tried to match it as good as I could. I can always grind on it later if I need to.

2h3a9sw.jpg

Then I filled voids, applied tape, and put a release agent (shoe polish) on where each was needed.

eunj80.jpg

a0zyba.jpg

After I built up enough confidence I mixed up the Devcon and slathered it on pretty thick. I installed the both pillars on the action and covered them with Devcon too. I used a long bold from the hardware store for the rear one until I slipped the stock over them. Then I removed that bolt and installed the trigger guard with the proper bolt.

After a bit of clean-up here is where I sit now.

ztgai8.jpg

We will find out tomorrow if I was successful.
    Guns International

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Did you shoot the gun for accuracy before you did your work? Let us know how to compares to after. It’s always a good test of your handy work. I hope the videos helped and your project is a success. Personally I use Acriglass from brownells. Shoe polish and Devcon were new to me also.

Tag for updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Good write up.

It looks like you are bedding the recoil lug area well but have tape in the front of the lug. I would have put release on the lug and no tape just to really lock it in.

Looks good. Get it apart yet? That rates right up there with shooting your first reload. A little scary until done.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Did you shoot the gun for accuracy before you did your work? Let us know how to compares to after. It’s always a good test of your handy work. I hope the videos helped and your project is a success. Personally I use Acriglass from brownells. Shoe polish and Devcon were new to me also.

Tag for updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    They barrel really isn't even broken in yet so I'll just have to assume it's improved.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Good write up.

It looks like you are bedding the recoil lug area well but have tape in the front of the lug. I would have put release on the lug and no tape just to really lock it in.

Looks good. Get it apart yet? That rates right up there with shooting your first reload. A little scary until done.
    I taped the bottom and sides of the lug and then changed my mind and added tape to the back of the lug and chamber area. There are so many opinions about that out there!

I haven't pulled it apart yet but I did wake up early to make sure the front screw wasn't locked in. I'm good there.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    i usually add one layer of tape to the front of the lug as i want the back of the lug to be skin tite with the bedding during recoil. i also relieve the hell out of the sides and bottom of the bbl channel then wrap some tape around the bbl fwd of the lug to center the bbl in the channel. i get a centered bbl that way w/no pressure points on the bbl. my first few i just tapped out with a plastic mallet but now hold the stock and rap the bottom of the bbl against a wooden table. devcon works great.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    i usually add one layer of tape to the front of the lug as i want the back of the lug to be skin tite with the bedding during recoil. i also relieve the hell out of the sides and bottom of the bbl channel then wrap some tape around the bbl fwd of the lug to center the bbl in the channel. i get a centered bbl that way w/no pressure points on the bbl. my first few i just tapped out with a plastic mallet but now hold the stock and rap the bottom of the bbl against a wooden table. devcon works great.
    I didn't have to relieve the barrel channel as there was enough room but I did not put electrical tape around the barrel to keep it centered. I also floated the tang, don't remember if I mentioned that earlier.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    by tang do you mean where the rear action screw goes thru or the recoil lug "tang". it can get confusing sometimes. i have heard a the tang referred to 3-4 areas over the years. be careful though cause if you like how it came out theres a good chance you will be dragging all the rifles u have out of the closet and bedding them. also if you want to lightly file/round off the lower corners of the recoil lug where they sit in the bottom of the stock and when you put the action back in it will go in a lot easier w/out shaving off some of the bedding.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Well I cleaned it up today and I'm happy about how it turned out. For a first try anyway. I mixed up more that I used but I could have used more in the stock. The area in front of the lug never touched anything but that's okay, it just looks ugly. I also gouged up the stock with my rotary tool so I might give the whole thing a paint job later.

I cut the end off of the mag retention clip and notched the bedding so that it doesn't contact the receiver.

5b5806863c20878636f07f69741ac480.jpg

Top Bottom