Patriot Mobile

been awar for a while...who's casting here in el paso...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txsnowman2k2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    just started casting a bit ago, trying to see who else in town may be doing same, good to know for knowledge base...thanks.
    ARJ Defense ad

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Get it from the range where you shoot. Get out your shovel and dig some berms.

No problem with the brain picking, but not much to pick.

What are you casting ? Rifle-pistol....what cal. ? How you sizing-lubing?

Last edited:

txsnowman2k2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    124gr/9mm---200gr/.45, so far, just started...doing lee's micro groove for alox, not sizing yet. going to try the lee's as they are...picking up ww where i can and have some friends that get for me as well. trying to get all i can so i don't have to worry about not finding it later... so get all i can now and cast/load a few up along the way...

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    You will be much happier if/when you switch to a true lube groove bullet and go with a RCBS lube/sizer or other brand/same concept.

I tried Alox/Rooster lube when I first started. It works, but not nearly as well as the Carnuba Red lube I use now. Way less smoke, no leading, plus lubes and sizes in one step.

Wheel weights are great if you can get enough of them. I can just never get enough of them. Either the tire places won't/can't give them up, or they want a small fortune for them.

txsnowman2k2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    ultimately going to real size/lubing bur for now the alox style...am lucky to know a couple of tire places for lead, getting to be more and more steel and zinc but while the source is still there why not. have brother in boat country looking into old sailboats for ballast/keel lead.i hope to get to the point that my lead hunting ends with a lifetime and a half supply... then i go to town on casting...

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Yeah, my lead seems to go pretty quick. Good luck on that lifetime supply. I have been looking for it for years and still have not found it. I probably go through 500 lbs. a year.

I do alot of casting of cores for jacketed bullets. Can never have enough lead.

txsnowman2k2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    just picked up #200 nuclear med isotope containers and #200+ coww, busy weekend...maybe i'll just cruse the tire shops saturday and see what else i can score...have a great weekend...tx.

txsnowman2k2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    welcome silverbullet, lots of knowledge and help here for the askin, i just started smelting and will cast shortly, for now trying to collect all the lead i can ...but have been shooting, smithing, reloading for longer than i care to admit, anything i can help with, just ask away...tx

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Hello TxSnowman.
    Last time I spoke with you was over on surplusrifleforum.
    I just found this forum recently, thus why I am tardy to this post.

I have been casting for the past 6 years now.
    I cast for all of my pistol calibers except for .22 and almost all of my rifle calibers.
    If you want more input on casting I can also help.

Reading through this thread I see you are searching for lead.
    Randmplumbingllc hit the nail on the head on searching range berms with a shovel and a screed.
    Lowes sells has a metallic mesh for office air conditioner vents. They cost like 5 bucks.
    Grab your shovel and head out to the desert and look for places where people might shoot. Google maps might even help.
    Find a berm and start digging and use your converted screed to pick out the lead.

If you go to the local gun shows there is a guy that always sets up on the left hand side once you enter the main room.
    He sells magazines, ammo boxes, and bayonets... I know you have seen him.
    At the last show he was selling huge 25 lb rails of linotype for $30!
    I bought out what he had in wheel weight ingots, and I bought one of the three rails he had.
    Linotype casts an excellent .309 bullet and when cut in half with WW produces a 9mm and .452 bullet that will not lead up my pistol barrels.

Top Bottom