• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    Should I buy another pump shotgun? I already have an 870 that I really don't use that much. I would really like the have a Browning BPS because of the way the wood stock looks. Been thinking about the Benelli Nova.

But then again, I want a Beretta Xtrema 2 and a CZ or Browning over/under in a bad way. Just kicking the idea around.

Anyone else have the same problem?
    Hurley's Gold

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    I own two bps pumps. Talk about a stylish yet capable work of machinery. Double slide rails and the action is a solid brick of steel

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Anyone else have the same problem?

Not anymore. I went from a Remington 870, to a Remington 11-87, and finally a couple of years ago, I got a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U. Although if I do get another shotgun it will be a Ruger Red Label. The Browning over/under are really nice shotguns. One of my buddy's I dove hunt with, has one. He let me shot it a couplr of times.......really nice shotgun, IMHO.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Although if I do get another shotgun it will be a Ruger Red Label.

I only have one over/under, a Red Label, so I'll offer you this advice...Shoot one before you buy, and you may find that you like your buddy's Browning better for its balance. If you get serious about buying, let me know...you are more than welcome to borrow mine for a comparison.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    One of the perks of working at a trap/skeet range when I was younger was I got to try out alot of shotguns. Favorites area Browning sporting clays model ( picked one up and shot 25 out of 25 first time shooting gun) this will be my next one I buy. Also for skeet my favorite is a Remington 1100 with a skeet barell which I have.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    If you get serious about buying, let me know...you are more than welcome to borrow mine for a comparison.

Pete,
    Not serious at this time, but thanks for the offer & the advice on the comparison between Browning & Ruger O/U's.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Pete,
    Not serious at this time, but thanks for the offer & the advice on the comparison between Browning & Ruger O/U's.

You're welcome.

I'd have sold it by now, but I bought it from a friend of mine for a really, really low price...it just wouldn't feel right to sell it.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    You're welcome.

I'd have sold it by now, but I bought it from a friend of mine for a really, really low price...it just wouldn't feel right to sell it.

How old is yours? I almost got one some years back, but they developed problems with the splitting forends and I didn't like the idea of having potentially two very different pieces of wood on one. I liked the looks and performance back then, but haven't been near one since. I've often thought about getting one to either just play/hunt with or just to look at since I like their clean lines. I was just wondering if you had any knowledge of these problems or if they have fixed them.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    How old is yours? I almost got one some years back, but they developed problems with the splitting forends and I didn't like the idea of having potentially two very different pieces of wood on one. I liked the looks and performance back then, but haven't been near one since. I've often thought about getting one to either just play/hunt with or just to look at since I like their clean lines. I was just wondering if you had any knowledge of these problems or if they have fixed them.

Not sure of the age, but probably less than 15 years. I don't have any knowledge of the problem you mention or any others...I just really liked the way the gun looks, and I knew it had a pretty strong following. It didn't hurt, either, that I was getting it for less than half of its value.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    It didn't hurt, either, that I was getting it for less than half of its value.

That always helps! The problems were with their earlier guns. IIRC it was limited to their 12ga guns and somewhere in the late 80's early 90's guns. They would split on the bottom of the forend near the hingepoint. Almost always dead center and typically all the way to the lever to remove the forend. But most issues were with people who used their guns for competition. Casual shooters didn't have many problems that I heard of, just the guys putting multiple thousands of rounds through them a year. Ruger's CS was great though, ship it to them and in less than 5wks, typically, it was back no charge with a new forend on it. I may have to give them another look anyway.

Top Bottom