• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shep128

High Speed Low Drag
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2020
    Bonham TX
    I’ve been working on my own stuff and family’s guns for a while now but it’s all self learned. I would like to venture into commercial work BUT I need to know my s***. The best I can find is there isn’t a “gunsmithing” cert. if there is I can’t find it. So how do I venture into this field? Learning all I need to learn. Thanks for any input.
    Hurley's Gold

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I would agree with Moonpie.
    Between now and then, classes in machining and running a CNC wood milling would not hurt you a bit.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    I'll third the recommendation for professional training. Especially if you're working on somebody else's gun for money. What's your background? Any metal working skills or experience? I've found that machinists make better gunsmiths than gunsmiths make a machinist.

Last edited:

Shep128

High Speed Low Drag
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2020
    Bonham TX
    I'll third the recommendation for professional training. Especially if you're working on somebody else's gun for money. What's your background? Any metal working skills or experience? I've found that machinists make better gunsmiths than gunsmiths make a machinist.
    I worked for a machine shop part time for just a little while. I’ve been in LE for 10 years.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I think it was Sonoran Desert Institute, or something like that, has a bunch of different gun related courses and degrees.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Depending on age ... miltary as gunners mate could be an option. Youd definitely learn a lot about all kinds of arms. In the Navy our gunners mates ran the 5" guns.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    American Gunsmithing Institute, AGI is an option for folks who are mechanically inclined to learn at home at their own pace. They have options from simple armorer courses all the way up to master gunsmith and turn key buisness. Their training is much more in depth than most other do it at home thru the mail type options. Check out their site and get samples of their courses. It can be simple or as complex as you wish.

Their training includes welding and machining and all the tools including mills and lathes. I dont know what the quality of the tools they provide are but it's a one stop deal. It's not exactly cheap for the top master smith program but you can take bites of it as you go.

You still need experience. Theres alot of stuff most folks know how to do but would never attempt as good end products are as much talent and art as process know how. Still you have to have the knowledge as a foundation.

Some of the community college based courses are eligible for financial aid but I think AGI is only eligible for GI Bill or Disabled Vet retraining aid.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Have had the gun shop 14 years this May......I am not a gunsmith, never ever claim to be. I will do some small things that I do extremely well. Folks come in and say are you the gunsmith? I say no, I'm not. I do some work and it depends on what it is and what needs to be done to it. I pass on most work. Even mounting a scope can be precarious......

Someone brings in an older Winchester or Remington and want a new 1 piece rail instead of the two piece mounts on already on it.....break off a screw or strip a hole......major headache. People want old shotguns and 22's repaired...parts are long gone for them....pass......

I know of a couple of shops who do good work that I refer them to, and there will be a least a 6 month wait because those folks are in demand and they charge accordingly......

More than once I've agreed to tackle something that the old saying....a good deed never goes unpunished......rings true.....

Had a gentleman move into town that retired from a large gun shop in Houston and was their main gunsmith for 40 years. Knew what he was doing and we were damn lucky to have him in the area....as we have no real true gunsmiths around here.....passed away 6 months later......

A real gunsmith is in demand and can make some serious money.......lathe and mill skills are a must.....

texas yankee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    +1 on Murray State College - a buddy and I took one of the Summer Session courses there and it was well done - plenty of hands-on, and an excellent instructor that really knew his stuff. LOL, now, finding ANYTHING to do or anyplace to eat in Tisomingo, well, that's a challenge!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Pretty much feast or famine, being a gunsmith. Sometimes you won't have enough work for one person, and other times, you'll be stepping and fetching and wished you had a dozen other people working for you.

True gunsmiths are dying off and not many are taking their places. Too many disposable guns that the owners can work or tinker on themselves. It's I fear, becoming a dying profession in many ways. And not too many people have the resolve to make the commitment to become a true gunsmith.

Top Bottom