Beginner Handgun for wife and myself

StevenC

Feb 25, 2009
Hey Folks,
I'm looking for a good beginners pistol class for the wife and I near Dallas/FtWorth.
My wife has never touched a gun, and I once shot about a dozen rounds 15 or so years ago. TRUE beginners.

I've seen the Concealed Weapons classes, but they don't seem like they would really teach you much (lots of legal stuff surely?)

What I'd really like is a good two or three day class that shows us how to use a weapon safely, and with some accuracy!

We don't have guns. If the class goes well we might buy some. So they would have to have loaner guns (glocks maybe...) and equipment.

Anyone care to make any recommendations?

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
Feb 29, 2008
DFW area.....Wylie.
Since you are in the Metroplex, I recommend a place in Plano. They have 100 different pistols you can rent, so that takes care of whatever you may want to try. They also offer private instruction, which would take care of the training you want. If all goes well, they also sell pistols and offer CHL classes. It would be a one-stop-shop for what you need. The place is called The Bullet Trap.
Bullet Trap, Inc. - Indoor Shooting Range, Training Center and Gun Store - Plano, TX

Click on 'rentals' and page down for their list of rental guns. Also, click on 'pricing', they have individual coaching or an intro to shooting class.

Welcome to the world of shooting, you'll soon be a gun owner.

accordingtoome

Oct 13, 2008
if you were to take a shot in the dark i would go with the the XDM 9mm. with the extra backstraps that come with it you can fit it to her hand or yours.. maybe find a nice inbetween. My girl loves to shoot mine. she is only 100 lbs.

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
Well, I can definitely say that a CHL class isn't really "training" per se. If you find a really good CHL instructor, usually they will speed through some of the less important state mandated things and will incorporate a little bit of actual training. It shouldn't be looked at as a "training" class though as with a state mandated 10 hour minimum class length, usually most classes just don't have the time to add in several hours of instruction.

I'm not sure of any specific classes/schools in the DFW area. if you don't mind traveling a bit, there are some good instructors in Houston, Waco, and Austin. Here's a few I can think of off the top of my head:

Tiger Valley (They have a few other pistol classes too)

Hoffners| Hoffners Training Academy :: Pistol

BASIC PISTOL COURSES

Just keep in mind that pretty much every class is going to require you to bring a firearm. Some classes/schools may have some firearms there for you to rent for the class, but if you get interested in a class I would make the instructor aware of your predicament to find out for sure if they have something you could borrow or rent.

Shorts

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 28, 2008
Texas
I have the perfect guy in mind if you were down here Corpus way. I can't help you up in DFW area though. Its out of my area

StevenC

Feb 25, 2009
Thanks for the tips everyone. We have signed up for the Bullet Trap Intro to Shooting class. With luck we will leave knowing at the very leastwhich end the bullet comes out of!

StevenC

Feb 25, 2009
We just got back from the Bullet Trap Intro to Shooting class. It was great!
I recommend it to anyone you know who is just getting into guns.
We got to shoot about 80 rounds with about 16 different guns, quite a lot of variety really. The class culminates with everyone shooting 5 rounds with a .45, and most folks discovering its a lot easier to handle than some of the smaller ones.

Best of all, my wife had a good time too. We'll be shooting again:)

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members