• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StevenC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Hey Folks,
    I'm looking for a good beginners pistol class for the wife and I near Dallas/FtWorth.
    My wife has never touched a gun, and I once shot about a dozen rounds 15 or so years ago. TRUE beginners.

I've seen the Concealed Weapons classes, but they don't seem like they would really teach you much (lots of legal stuff surely?)

What I'd really like is a good two or three day class that shows us how to use a weapon safely, and with some accuracy!

We don't have guns. If the class goes well we might buy some. So they would have to have loaner guns (glocks maybe...) and equipment.

Anyone care to make any recommendations?

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Since you are in the Metroplex, I recommend a place in Plano. They have 100 different pistols you can rent, so that takes care of whatever you may want to try. They also offer private instruction, which would take care of the training you want. If all goes well, they also sell pistols and offer CHL classes. It would be a one-stop-shop for what you need. The place is called The Bullet Trap.
    Bullet Trap, Inc. - Indoor Shooting Range, Training Center and Gun Store - Plano, TX

Click on 'rentals' and page down for their list of rental guns. Also, click on 'pricing', they have individual coaching or an intro to shooting class.

Welcome to the world of shooting, you'll soon be a gun owner.

accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    if you were to take a shot in the dark i would go with the the XDM 9mm. with the extra backstraps that come with it you can fit it to her hand or yours.. maybe find a nice inbetween. My girl loves to shoot mine. she is only 100 lbs.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, I can definitely say that a CHL class isn't really "training" per se. If you find a really good CHL instructor, usually they will speed through some of the less important state mandated things and will incorporate a little bit of actual training. It shouldn't be looked at as a "training" class though as with a state mandated 10 hour minimum class length, usually most classes just don't have the time to add in several hours of instruction.

I'm not sure of any specific classes/schools in the DFW area. if you don't mind traveling a bit, there are some good instructors in Houston, Waco, and Austin. Here's a few I can think of off the top of my head:

Tiger Valley (They have a few other pistol classes too)

Hoffners| Hoffners Training Academy :: Pistol

BASIC PISTOL COURSES

Just keep in mind that pretty much every class is going to require you to bring a firearm. Some classes/schools may have some firearms there for you to rent for the class, but if you get interested in a class I would make the instructor aware of your predicament to find out for sure if they have something you could borrow or rent.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I have the perfect guy in mind if you were down here Corpus way. I can't help you up in DFW area though. Its out of my area

StevenC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Thanks for the tips everyone. We have signed up for the Bullet Trap Intro to Shooting class. With luck we will leave knowing at the very leastwhich end the bullet comes out of!

StevenC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    We just got back from the Bullet Trap Intro to Shooting class. It was great!
    I recommend it to anyone you know who is just getting into guns.
    We got to shoot about 80 rounds with about 16 different guns, quite a lot of variety really. The class culminates with everyone shooting 5 rounds with a .45, and most folks discovering its a lot easier to handle than some of the smaller ones.

Best of all, my wife had a good time too. We'll be shooting again:)

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Glad you found the information you needed and to hear ya'll will be shootin again. May I ask if ya'll decided on a particular handgun? just curious

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    We just got back from the Bullet Trap Intro to Shooting class. It was great!
    I recommend it to anyone you know who is just getting into guns.
    We got to shoot about 80 rounds with about 16 different guns, quite a lot of variety really. The class culminates with everyone shooting 5 rounds with a .45, and most folks discovering its a lot easier to handle than some of the smaller ones.

Best of all, my wife had a good time too. We'll be shooting again:)

Great news! Was it a big class or a smaller group? Good instructors?

Better start stocking up ammo! bye bye money!

StevenC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Well unfortunately they didn't have the names of the guns written down...you had to ask and try to scribble down what you heard him say (over the sound of shooting, and through the hearing protection). Combine that with my crappy handwriting and I'm not really sure what i shot:)

I liked something called the browning buckeye? buckfire? I also liked the big .45 Kimber (again, the exact name eludes me) at the end. I know we shot a Glock -that one seemed ok.

Disliked all the revolvers!

I'm thinking about getting a Ruger 22/45 MKIII for us to use to get some cheap volume shooting in. I've read you can get them for about $250 bucks. My question now is, where do most folks generally buy their guns?

StevenC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    The class had about 10 folks. 3 couples, and 4 guys.
    The instructor was ok...the lecture part of the class was only 90 minutes, and since it was stuff we didn't know, it was pretty interesting to us.

Ammo does like pricey...thats why i'm definitely startin with .22LR. I'm thinking a nice Ruger pistol and rifle set:) I'm already dreaming about upgrades, and i dont even have a weapon yet!

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Once you figure out what you want, you can always check Guns for Sale they have pretty good prices. The most important aspect is choosing what fits you. After that, it comes down to getting a decent deal. Bud's has pretty good prices, but you may find something locally if you go to Academy, Gander (usually high on prices), or someplace close. Call Wiley's Gun shop in Wills Point for something specific, they may have it at a decent price. They are about an hour from Plano.

I'm sure somebody else will chime in with some other good local stores.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Well unfortunately they didn't have the names of the guns written down...you had to ask and try to scribble down what you heard him say (over the sound of shooting, and through the hearing protection). Combine that with my crappy handwriting and I'm not really sure what i shot:)

I liked something called the browning buckeye? buckfire? I also liked the big .45 Kimber (again, the exact name eludes me) at the end. I know we shot a Glock -that one seemed ok.

Disliked all the revolvers!

I'm thinking about getting a Ruger 22/45 MKIII for us to use to get some cheap volume shooting in. I've read you can get them for about $250 bucks. My question now is, where do most folks generally buy their guns?

Hey, you did pretty well remembering guns

You can't go wrong by picking up a Ruger .22lr pistol. We have a 22/45 model that's just ol' reliable (it was one that was stolen from us but found again. Of course it's reliable!).

Also a gun that I think every house should have is a handy .22 rifle (they can come in shorts, long rifle or mag). These take care of your basic plinking and critter needs, for super cheap and very easy learning.

As for where to buy guns, well, all over really. Once you start looking where guns are sold, depending on availability and costs, any avenue is has potential. As mr kingofwiley said, who has the best deal on it. Online gun dealers, online forums, local gun shops, pawn shops, gun shows, friends, newspaper ads, estate sales. You never know where you'll find that elusive gun you've been looking for, or just scamper across a great deal that you cannot pass up. Word of advice, NEVER pass up a deal. More than likely, and I think guys here can vouch for it, it hurts later when you go back to find someone else stumbled on the great deal you let slip through your fingers of that cherry RuKimFieldColt

I'm already dreaming about upgrades, and i dont even have a weapon yet!

Welcome. Pull up a chair, you're a permanent member now

allencp78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri City, TX
    I'm looking for the same kind of class for my wife and some of her friends in the Houston area. Can anyone recommend an instructor that is very woman friendly? The interested ladies all live in Missouri City and Sugarland.

Top Bottom