• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunWanderer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    I don't know much about the scope rings. Some said to use a one piece, some said to use a low mount. Does it matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Getting the scope to line up with your eye with a proper cheek weld matters most.

One or two piece will make little difference on a hunting rifle, and the debate isn't even settled among 1k yard match shooters or the wins between them.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Wow. 62 posts on hunting rifles for Texas deer and nobody mentioned a Win 94. Us old guys really are dying off, aren't we?

BTW - The OP did good. Best of luck to him.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I don't know much about the scope rings. Some said to use a one piece, some said to use a low mount. Does it matter?

A one piece base is more solid than a two piece system. If everything is mounted properly then it really doesn't matter with a hunting rifle.

You generally want the scope as low as possible for a better cheek weld if you have a standard hunting stock.

If you have the rifle and scope you can usually take them into a gun store and they will help you pick out a base and rings that fit properly if they have them in stock. You might even get it bore sighted too.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    A one piece base is more solid than a two piece system. If everything is mounted properly then it really doesn't matter with a hunting rifle.

You generally want the scope as low as possible for a better cheek weld if you have a standard hunting stock.

If you have the rifle and scope you can usually take them into a gun store and they will help you pick out a base and rings that fit properly if they have them in stock. You might even get it bore sighted too.

Not sure which rifle you bought so this is just an example. I use the one piece base and then attach the Leupold rings to it and then the whole system to the rifle. Been there for years and traveled to several states to hunt and kill deer and still holding zero. Extremely solid platform.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-sho...-systems/std-savage-10-rh-sa-round-rcvr-1-pc/

STD_1pc_Base_web-530x306.jpg

MikeyJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Tomball
    Since we're on page 7, I guess it's safe to start with the wise comments...

First, I would use a paintball or airsoft to hunt beginners. You wouldn't want to hurt them too badly. It might discourage them.

Second, is there a beginner season? What licenses are needed to hunt beginners?

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Wow. 62 posts on hunting rifles for Texas deer and nobody mentioned a Win 94. Us old guys really are dying off, aren't we?

BTW - The OP did good. Best of luck to him.

LOL. My go to deer rifle has always been a Remington .270, until about 5 years ago. I had taken off the rifle scope but hadn't decided on what scope I was going to upgrade to. So I went to my back up rifle: Win. 94AE, 30-30. As all my shots at my deer stand are at 100yrds. max, I haven't gone back to the .270. Maybe this year........

Binary

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Wait a minute...it took 7 pages of comments for anyone to mention a 30-30! I thought this was a forum with hunters :P Can't really leave the gun that has probably killed more deer than any other gun off the list. Pick yourself up a Marlin 336, even Walmart sells them...drop a scope on it and you're good up to 150 yards with regular ammo. Personally, using Hornady Leverevolution rounds, I've done 300 yard shots.

Ammo is bit pricey though.

Top Bottom