Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by TexasRig, Jun 30, 2009.

1. TexasRig

TexasRig New Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I won't ask the obvious beginner question, what type of handgun should I buy. I have found a lot of good information on that topic on this site and other places on the web. I have three questions.

1. If you have a concealed carry license can you take your weapon into an establishment that has a no firearms sign posted?

2. Is a gun show a good place purchase a new firearm? Meaning I am new to handgun's and may not be able to recognize a flaw that would be obvious to a more experienced person.

3. How many states recognize the Texas CCL?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. This is a great site with lots of good info and quality discussions.

Session

2. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    First, welcome to TGT!!!

#1 If it just says "No Firearms" the yes. If it has a 30.06 sign, then leave you're gun at home, in truck, etc. (I'll leeave it to someone better suited at answering the 30.06 nuance questions, as I'm still trying to figure 'em out myself...lol)

#2 I personally have no experience with gun shows myself. I have however been told that its hit or miss. Sometimes you get a deal, sometimes you don't. I personally decided to buy all my guns through local stores as I want to support the businesses that I will be frequenting the most. That doesn't mean I'm averse to going to a show or even purchasing online, I just haven't.

#3 Here is a link to DPS's website concerning reciprocity. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/reciprocity.htm

P.S. in Texas it's CHL, not CCL, CCW, etc.:texas:

3. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Do you have a CHL? If not, that will be covered WELL in your class. There are many places that are statutorily off limits. Private businesses that are not otherwise off-limits must give you proper notice to legally keep you from carry in that business. See section 30.06 of the penal code.

If you buy new it is a great place.

Google Texas DPS, click the Concealed Handgun link, then see the link for Concealed Handgun License Agreements with Other States.

4. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    As already said, a business that is not one of the ones off limits by law, must post a 30.06 sign. It has specific language and is of a certain size etc., and mentions section 30.06 in the wording. You'll learn about that in a CHL class.

If you know what you're doing and know values of various guns, a gun show can be great. I've bought a few (all new from licensed dealers) which I found at good prices. But as you walk around a gun show, you will see the same gun with prices all over the place. If you a novice at that sort of thing, it would be best to go with someone who is knowledgeable. Used guns that individuals sell in the isles can also produce some good deals, but IME, most individuals with decent guns are asking way too much. Some expect to get almost the price of new because they claim it is "Like New" condition. But no matter how little it's been shot, it is a used gun, and most do not have transferable warranties.

For the most part dealers (that is regular gun shops that buy a booth at the show) won't come down on their marked pricing. But, sometimes if you catch it toward the end of the show, they might accept a lesser offer just so they don't need to pack it back up and haul back to the shop. Can't hurt to ask, but you should do it respectfully. Something like, "I really like this gun, but I only have X amount to spend, can you work with me?"

Texas has reciprocity with quite a few states. There are resources on the internet that lists these states, and any restrictions that might go along with it.

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

Ask away, just don't ask me cause I'll say KIMBER! :lolz:

As for gun shows, I can't offer an opinion.

6. hk boy

hk boy Active Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    gun shows are great to visit because you'll be like a kid in a candy store
    tons of guns to fondle
    great fun even if you don't buy anything

7. MuddyWaterMan

MuddyWaterMan Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Gun shows can be very good for finding wonderful deals, research research research is the key for you being new. Decide what gun, guns you are interested in and see what they are going for on average in your area so you kind of have a data base before you go. On the same token I have been to gun shows where EVERYTHING was way overpriced. But looking is free and always fun :)

8. TexasRig

TexasRig New Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for the responses. I have not taken my CHL class yet. I am planning on getting that taken care of on Aug 1. I will be going through Webers Guns in Temple for the class. I probably won't have a gun by then but for $20 they will provide you with a 357 and 50 rounds to use during the class.

The gun show that I am talking about is at the Bell County Expo center in Belton. Anyone going?

9. res1b3uq

res1b3uq Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    357 ????

357 signifies revolver. If you take the test with a revolver, you will have to carry a revolver. If you take the test with a auto pistol, you can carry any type gun you want to. Besides all that, a .357 to me is about the worst size revolver a beginner could use. Now, if you use .38 Special ammo in it, that's different.

10. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Houston ish
    That's something I just found out the other day and was news to me. So, don't take the test with a revolver, even if that's what you plan on carrying. After plenty of research and gearing towards my purpose (personal protection, don't want pistol malfuntion regardless of skill or gun care) I'm thinking of revolver.

Why would they even offer the two options? Doesn't make sense to me.