• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phoebe Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Houston ish
    1. Most woman can rack a slide and load a magazine. It is technique that takes 20 minutes of training.

2. I don't know why anyone would want to carry a revolver, but I'm not everyone. You want to carry a revolver, then carry a revolver.

1. I can rack a slide and load a magazine, even if I call it a clip. I fly on helicopters all the time. I rock climb in California, Arizona and Texas. I have given birth to three babies, two without meds. I can quilt small, tiny stiches. I love manicures and pedicures. I can rack a slide. :p

2. In general, what do cops use as a back up weapon?

Y'all feel free to correct me because I'm just now learning about handguns. But isn't it a given that semi-autos malfunction more often than revolvers? Regardless of your skill level or the care of your gun, a semi-automatic can malfunction whereas with a revolver, its point and shoot. There are no procedures to deal with, no safety, nothing. My gender has nothing to do with it. I want to know if someone threatens my life and I have only one shot, I have no doubts in my time of protection.

Has anyone on this board ever had a semi-automatic malfunction? How about a revolver?
    Venture Surplus ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    1. I can rack a slide and load a magazine, even if I call it a clip. I fly on helicopters all the time.
    Not IN them? :eek:

2. In general, what do cops use as a back up weapon?
    Mini Glocks, Kahrs, S&W Chiefs, Walthers, Berettas..............

But isn't it a given that semi-autos malfunction more often than revolvers?
    No. Semi-autos have different things that can cause a malfunction (congratulations for not using the term "jam"), but revolvers can and do.
    Regardless of your skill level or the care of your gun, a semi-automatic can malfunction whereas with a revolver, its point and shoot.
    Unless it malfunctions. Revolvers can build up lead and the cylinders lock up. Revolvers can have the ejection rod back out and lock up the cylinder........you get my point.

Has anyone on this board ever had a semi-automatic malfunction?
    I have never had one that I would carry malfunction on me. As an instructor I have seen plenty malfunction.
    How about a revolver?

Funny you as. I was shot by a revlover being used in the lane next to me at a DPD CHL instructor renewal school. The student instructor did not violate any safety rules either. His revlover was out of time, meaning it fired when the cylinder was not lined up straight with the barrel. It shaved lead that flew into my hand and arm, seriously enough to require first aid.

Phoebe Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Houston ish
    Not IN them? :eek:

No. Semi-autos have different things that can cause a malfunction (congratulations for not using the term "jam"), but revolvers can and do. Unless it malfunctions. Revolvers can build up lead and the cylinders lock up. Revolvers can have the ejection rod back out and lock up the cylinder........you get my point.

I have never had one that I would carry malfunction on me. As an instructor I have seen plenty malfunction.

Funny you as. I was shot by a revlover being used in the lane next to me at a DPD CHL instructor renewal school. The student instructor did not violate any safety rules either. His revlover was out of time, meaning it fired when the cylinder was not lined up straight with the barrel. It shaved lead that flew into my hand and arm, seriously enough to require first aid.

No, ON them. They don't call me SuperWoman for nothin. ;) An hour and 45 minutes in the Gulf (ok, OVER the Gulf) is a long time to ride ON them though.

You say revolvers can build up lead. Is this due to a lack of proper gun care/cleaning? And back up protection for cops, not sure what you listed (except for glocks), are those semi autos?

I'm going to do some more research and report back on the revolver vs. semi issue for personal protection. I still have lots of questions.

Good thread everyone. I'm learning.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    The only semi-auto malfunctions I've had have been ammo-related. Using good ammo, everything I've used works great.

I agree with that... if you ever get a shitty batch of ammo you know it... and find some hollowpoint that feed nice to your liking too if you're going the semi-auto route... my fiance and I have used some cheap hollowpoints that I'm glad we test fired because I wouldn't trust her nor my life with those pieces of shit in there... the only other problem I've had with a semi-auto in regards to malfunctions is the spring on my Colt Mustang is the stock spring and is just a bad design, super old, and super weak and wasn't ejecting properly and also we had a CZ that the slide was so tight on it little 115 gr 9mm rounds weren't getting ejected fully... but other than that no problems... I've never had one hickup with my XD and I've probably put close to 1000 rounds through it already (if not more)

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    1. . . . . There are no procedures to deal with, no safety, nothing. My gender has nothing to do with it. I want to know if someone threatens my life and I have only one shot, I have no doubts in my time of protection.

I wasn't implying your gender had anything to do with your decision, but a lot of people will recommend to a woman to get a revolver because they don't think most woman can rack a slide or that it is too complicated. This is inaccurate and condesending to generalize.

I think a cheap, dirty auto with bad ammo has a good chance of malfunctioning.

That being said. I've shot probably 500 rounds through my dad's ruger, 1100 round through my beretta, and probably 2000+ rounds through my glock with no problems. I've tried various kinds of hollow points from cheap walmart brand to some of the expensive stuff (reminds me I got to try out some hornady XTP rounds I loaded up for myself). My friend, who got his glock from SAPD, had never cleaned his gun (I cleaned it once just cause I enjoy doing that stuff. . . it was DIRTY) and it never had a problem either.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You say revolvers can build up lead. Is this due to a lack of proper gun care/cleaning?
    Usually
    And back up protection for cops, not sure what you listed (except for glocks), are those semi autos? The S&W is a revolver.

I'm going to do some more research and report back on the revolver vs. semi issue for personal protection. I still have lots of questions.
    I have no issues carrying a revolver. I love my revolver. In fact, I am looking for two more. I want an S&W .41, and a S&W Chief.

akarfal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Johnson county
    Hand gun buying

GM-Chief pretty will hit the nail on the head for CHL information. The number one thought in buying the first hand-gun is getting something that you can run. Go to ranges: rent or try out various pistols until you find one you can run. There are alot of nice ones out there. Myself I pretty well stick with 1911's. Shot me first one in the late 50's and although I own Sig's and Glock's, I sick with my 1911's

Get that CHL as ther is plenty of Defensive Hand-Gun Training in Texas to help.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You say revolvers can build up lead. Is this due to a lack of proper gun care/cleaning? And back up protection for cops, not sure what you listed (except for glocks), are those semi autos?

Revolvers can go out of time mechanically and that is a safety hazard to the shooter and those around him / her. They also can malfunction in the trigger mechanism, generally they just lock up.

Most of our revolvers in our rental arsenal have at one time or another had problems that rendered the gun inoperable. I'd say 50% were due to lead build-up and general cleaning and care related failure, and the other 50% due to parts being worn. The amount of rounds that these guys go through in their life time is considerably more than any normal shooter would go through in a decade. That being said, a quality revolver is a reliable firearm.

I think our rental program tells more about the real world application of the guns than any torture test on the internet. We know the history of the guns, we know what's wrong with them, and yet... some of them just keep on going.

The Glock 17/19 is the most reliable gun I've ever seen. Our 19 rental gun has over 500,000 rounds through it, at least. It has several hundred ran through it daily. That's why I have a Glock 19 in my house.

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    I have put many a round through my S&W Model 28 (.357 and .38, factory and reload) and my MkIV 70 1911 (factory and reload). I maintain my weapons with reasonable care and attention. I've never had a weapon-related malfunction on either (I bought both pistols new). The main advantage I see between the two as far as reliability/malfunction in a bad situation is: an ammo malfunction in an auto, such as failure to extract, could take the weapon out of immediate use; in a revolver if you have an ammo malfunction you just pull the trigger again.

While I loved my Model 28 I carry my 1911.

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    If someone hasnt said so then read. Alot. Buy every gun magazine you can. Although I will caution you you will develop a strong want of every gun you seen in the magazines. I eventually stopped buying the magazines which have save me a lot of money and saved me some space for more guns.

Some of my favorite are:
    American Handgunner
    Combat Weapons
    Guns & Ammo
    Field and Stream
    Guns

If you see a gun you like search here or any other forum you can find. If you like 1911's look at m1911.org. If you like CZ's look at czforum.com. Also some other very good forums to look at are Thehighroad.org and thefiringline.com.

Ask a lot of questions do a lot of research. In my short years of owning guns ( 5 years and I am up to 12 already) I have read and researched a lot and have made few mistakes in my owning of guns or purchasing.

I will advise a good idea to use the search menu on every forum. If you search and have no luck then ask. People will be more than happy to answer your questions. One reason I say search is because it will cut down on the "Which 1911 should I buy" or "which ar should I buy". But, as I said if after you search and search and still cant come up with something then ask.

If you find a gun you want. Call around to see who carries it and if they have any in. You might find a shop that has a better price. I wanted a CZ-75B a few years ago. Academy had it for $415 and I found it at Gander Mountain for $350.

Top Bottom