• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasRig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    I won't ask the obvious beginner question, what type of handgun should I buy. I have found a lot of good information on that topic on this site and other places on the web. I have three questions.

1. If you have a concealed carry license can you take your weapon into an establishment that has a no firearms sign posted?

2. Is a gun show a good place purchase a new firearm? Meaning I am new to handgun's and may not be able to recognize a flaw that would be obvious to a more experienced person.

3. How many states recognize the Texas CCL?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. This is a great site with lots of good info and quality discussions.

Session
    Lynx Defense

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    First, welcome to TGT!!!

#1 If it just says "No Firearms" the yes. If it has a 30.06 sign, then leave you're gun at home, in truck, etc. (I'll leeave it to someone better suited at answering the 30.06 nuance questions, as I'm still trying to figure 'em out myself...lol)

#2 I personally have no experience with gun shows myself. I have however been told that its hit or miss. Sometimes you get a deal, sometimes you don't. I personally decided to buy all my guns through local stores as I want to support the businesses that I will be frequenting the most. That doesn't mean I'm averse to going to a show or even purchasing online, I just haven't.

#3 Here is a link to DPS's website concerning reciprocity. [URL="http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/reciprocity.htm"][URL="http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/reciprocity.htm"][URL]http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/reciprocity.htm[/URL][/URL][/URL]

P.S. in Texas it's CHL, not CCL, CCW, etc.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I won't ask the obvious beginner question, what type of handgun should I buy. I have found a lot of good information on that topic on this site and other places on the web. I have three questions.

1. If you have a concealed carry license can you take your weapon into an establishment that has a no firearms sign posted?
    Do you have a CHL? If not, that will be covered WELL in your class. There are many places that are statutorily off limits. Private businesses that are not otherwise off-limits must give you proper notice to legally keep you from carry in that business. See section 30.06 of the penal code.

2. Is a gun show a good place purchase a new firearm? Meaning I am new to handgun's and may not be able to recognize a flaw that would be obvious to a more experienced person.
    If you buy new it is a great place.

3. How many states recognize the Texas CCL?
    Google Texas DPS, click the Concealed Handgun link, then see the link for Concealed Handgun License Agreements with Other States.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    As already said, a business that is not one of the ones off limits by law, must post a 30.06 sign. It has specific language and is of a certain size etc., and mentions section 30.06 in the wording. You'll learn about that in a CHL class.

If you know what you're doing and know values of various guns, a gun show can be great. I've bought a few (all new from licensed dealers) which I found at good prices. But as you walk around a gun show, you will see the same gun with prices all over the place. If you a novice at that sort of thing, it would be best to go with someone who is knowledgeable. Used guns that individuals sell in the isles can also produce some good deals, but IME, most individuals with decent guns are asking way too much. Some expect to get almost the price of new because they claim it is "Like New" condition. But no matter how little it's been shot, it is a used gun, and most do not have transferable warranties.

For the most part dealers (that is regular gun shops that buy a booth at the show) won't come down on their marked pricing. But, sometimes if you catch it toward the end of the show, they might accept a lesser offer just so they don't need to pack it back up and haul back to the shop. Can't hurt to ask, but you should do it respectfully. Something like, "I really like this gun, but I only have X amount to spend, can you work with me?"

Texas has reciprocity with quite a few states. There are resources on the internet that lists these states, and any restrictions that might go along with it.

hk boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    gun shows are great to visit because you'll be like a kid in a candy store
    tons of guns to fondle
    great fun even if you don't buy anything

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Gun shows can be very good for finding wonderful deals, research research research is the key for you being new. Decide what gun, guns you are interested in and see what they are going for on average in your area so you kind of have a data base before you go. On the same token I have been to gun shows where EVERYTHING was way overpriced. But looking is free and always fun :)

TexasRig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for the responses. I have not taken my CHL class yet. I am planning on getting that taken care of on Aug 1. I will be going through Webers Guns in Temple for the class. I probably won't have a gun by then but for $20 they will provide you with a 357 and 50 rounds to use during the class.

The gun show that I am talking about is at the Bell County Expo center in Belton. Anyone going?

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    357 ????

357 signifies revolver. If you take the test with a revolver, you will have to carry a revolver. If you take the test with a auto pistol, you can carry any type gun you want to. Besides all that, a .357 to me is about the worst size revolver a beginner could use. Now, if you use .38 Special ammo in it, that's different.

Phoebe Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Houston ish
    357 signifies revolver. If you take the test with a revolver, you will have to carry a revolver. If you take the test with a auto pistol, you can carry any type gun you want to. Besides all that, a .357 to me is about the worst size revolver a beginner could use. Now, if you use .38 Special ammo in it, that's different.

That's something I just found out the other day and was news to me. So, don't take the test with a revolver, even if that's what you plan on carrying. After plenty of research and gearing towards my purpose (personal protection, don't want pistol malfuntion regardless of skill or gun care) I'm thinking of revolver.

Why would they even offer the two options? Doesn't make sense to me.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Phoebe Ann, The thought is that a semi-auto takes more training/skill/practice than a revolver... So in theory if you can master a semi-auto, the revolver is simple.... IMHO...with proper training, and a quality, well maintained firearm, either will fill the need. I have carried the same semi-auto since '83 and have complete confidence in it's ability to function correctly when needed. Shoot/carry what YOU are comfortable with. MG

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I don't quite understand why they think a semi-auto is harder to master than a revolver. IMO, the double-action trigger pull of a revolver makes it a lot harder to master. Get good with a Smith and my P220 is easy by comparison.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    357 signifies revolver. If you take the test with a revolver, you will have to carry a revolver.
    Not necessarily. .357 SIG as opposed to .357 magnum, is a semi-auto.
    Besides all that, a .357 to me is about the worst size revolver a beginner could use.
    .357 has nothing to do with the size of the gun, but of the caliber of the bullet it shoots.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I don't quite understand why they think a semi-auto is harder to master than a revolver.

Revolver = open cylinder, load, close cylinder, pull trigger. Simple as that. It's not about mastering the firearm in the manner in which we think about mastery; it's about being able to operate it at an acceptable level.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    That's something I just found out the other day and was news to me. So, don't take the test with a revolver, even if that's what you plan on carrying. After plenty of research and gearing towards my purpose (personal protection, don't want pistol malfuntion regardless of skill or gun care) I'm thinking of revolver.

Why would they even offer the two options? Doesn't make sense to me.

They offer both options because an auto loader has a more complicated manual of arms. Rack the slide, lock the slide, decock, DA/SA, clear jams, clear the gun... etc. A lot more to learn and know. A revolver, basically you put ammo in and pull the trigger. Swing out the cyclinder and dump the ammo out to unload.

But to the .357 they are offering for you to use, I'll bet that's a .357 Sig, and most likely a Glock, HD or M&P. When I was researching where to take my CHL course, everyone that listed guns available for use, offered Glocks.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Revolver = open cylinder, load, close cylinder, pull trigger. Simple as that. It's not about mastering the firearm in the manner in which we think about mastery; it's about being able to operate it at an acceptable level.

Which is harder than "insert magazine, pull slide to rear and release"? I realize that some people lack the physical strength to pull that off, but I've taught non-mechanically inclined beginners on autoloaders and haven't ever had any trouble. IMO, it's easier with something like a Glock or 1911 because trigger control is a lot simpler on those than a DA firearm.

The only advantage I've found in a revolver over an autoloader for some shooters (and this doesn't apply only to new shooters!) is the trust factor. They can understand how it works; they can see how it works. They see the cylinder, they see it rotate, they see the hammer come back and slam forward. They can see the rims of the cartridges without even cracking the thing open. This is very reassuring to some (like my wife), who have trouble understanding how an autoloader works, but still have a deep-seated need to do so for some reason.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Most modern handguns are all pretty simple to operate. A car is more complicated to run then either revolver or automatic.

Neither takes much training to mechanically opporate safely and effectively ( this doesn't go into shooting, training, and carrying).

I don't like it when people tell someone to buy a revolver because it is their first gun or because they are a woman. It is stupid and limits a person's opoortunity to buy a gun that works for them. Most woman can rack a slide and load a magazine. It is technique that takes 20 minutes of training.

There are pro's and con's to both, but it really comes down to caliber desired, ammo capacity minnimums, and simple personal preference.

I don't know why anyone would want to carry a revolver, but I'm not everyone. You want to carry a revolver, then carry a revolver.

Freedom is a wonderful thing.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Which is harder than "insert magazine, pull slide to rear and release"?
    NO, its, "place bullets into magazine, or cram them in as with some mags, then insert magazine, figure out which little button releases the slide, or which part of the thing do I pull on? Then de-c0ck, engage safety, etc........[/quote]

A revolver is more mechanically simple than a semi-auto. It does not seem so to those of us who have mastered the semi-auto, but we do not serve our students if we cannot imagine at their level.

Top Bottom