• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I'm learning as much as I can. That is some very useful information about the anvils. Very much appreciated, since it was more than I already knew about anvils.

I probably watched a dozen YouTube reviews on the anvil before I decided to take a chance on it. I've been 90% happy with it, and am honestly glad it's the one I chose.
    Gun Zone Deals

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The anvil types that GZ mentioned are your best bet.
    On the railroad rail. If you can get one, get it. Preferably more than one. They come in very handy for smaller stuff especially if you need a slight radius. If you can get more than one, mill one flat. Nice for setting smaller pins in handles.
    When I was younger I did custom fabrication on motorcycles. A 2' piece of rail was perfect for shaping pieces to fit frames and making custom tanks because of the slight radius. But it will not replace a good anvil. It is a good addition to it though.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I ordered my belt grinder wheel kit last Friday. It showed up early today. Scheduled delivery was suppose to be this Friday!

Working on getting them mounted, fitted and adjusted now. Looks like some minor tweaking is needed!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Spent more than a few hours in the garage, cleaning and re-organizing various things. I didn't like where I initially put the belt grinder after looking it over this afternoon, so I decided to move it so it would have a better lighting source than it did have. So moving the cabinet it was on, meant moving a bookshelf that I keep reference books and my cordless tool battery chargers. So that meant removing a shelf attached to the wall, and moving it as well. Now I have a little more working room in the garage.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I've done a couple of major reorganizations of my workshop, which is also our large storage shed. And once I'm finally able to run power out there...I get to move all the shelves off the walls and stick everything in the center of the room so the electrician will be able to get to everything. That's gonna be a fun day...at least I was smart enough to make all of my current forging equipment mobile.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I've done a couple of major reorganizations of my workshop, which is also our large storage shed. And once I'm finally able to run power out there...I get to move all the shelves off the walls and stick everything in the center of the room so the electrician will be able to get to everything. That's gonna be a fun day...at least I was smart enough to make all of my current forging equipment mobile.

I'm building my forge on a cart that I'm going to mount it on, so that I can wheel it outside to forge or heat-treat.

I do like your anvil set up. That is pretty sweet. If and or when I decide on getting an anvil, I may copy your idea. Very creative.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I do like your anvil set up. That is pretty sweet. If and or when I decide on getting an anvil, I may copy your idea. Very creative.

I got the basic idea off a YouTube review for that anvil, and then had the bright idea of putting casters on it so I can work outside if I want (of course, it's been so rainy I haven't had a chance). I'm not sure I'd trust it for an anvil much larger, but for the little 66lb anvil it's damn near perfect. The hardest part was getting all the 4x4s cut evenly. I wanted to use 6x6 lumber so it would have fewer parts and be a little more sturdy, but neither Lowe's nor Home Depot can cut the 6x6s they sell, and I don't have a saw big enough either.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I got the basic idea off a YouTube review for that anvil, and then had the bright idea of putting casters on it so I can work outside if I want (of course, it's been so rainy I haven't had a chance). I'm not sure I'd trust it for an anvil much larger, but for the little 66lb anvil it's damn near perfect. The hardest part was getting all the 4x4s cut evenly. I wanted to use 6x6 lumber so it would have fewer parts and be a little more sturdy, but neither Lowe's nor Home Depot can cut the 6x6s they sell, and I don't have a saw big enough either.

I got lucky last week and scored some rail iron for free. I called around to a couple of scrap yards and a metal shop trying to locate a short piece to fashion a crude anvil from. None had any. We have a rail car repair shop just outside of town and called them to see if they might have any. Talked to their yard manager, and he had some. Said if I wanted a piece he didn't have to cut up, he'd let me have it for free. So I ended up with an almost 4' section of #90 rail for free.

Things got pretty upside down around here this week so I wasn't able to do anything with it until today. Going to have to buy more saw blades to cut this tough steel up.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I got lucky last week and scored some rail iron for free. I called around to a couple of scrap yards and a metal shop trying to locate a short piece to fashion a crude anvil from. None had any. We have a rail car repair shop just outside of town and called them to see if they might have any. Talked to their yard manager, and he had some. Said if I wanted a piece he didn't have to cut up, he'd let me have it for free. So I ended up with an almost 4' section of #90 rail for free.

Things got pretty upside down around here this week so I wasn't able to do anything with it until today. Going to have to buy more saw blades to cut this tough steel up.

Nice score! You can make several tools from that - a decent anvil, plus a striking surface for using tools on your steel that might mar the anvil, swage blocks...you've got a great resource there.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Nice score! You can make several tools from that - a decent anvil, plus a striking surface for using tools on your steel that might mar the anvil, swage blocks...you've got a great resource there.

One of those rare instances of lucking into something I needed.

I might even see about taking the other three 10" sections and forming them into crude anvils and selling them. From what I have seen watching quite a few YouTube videos of making anvils out of them, it seems to be a pretty popular thing, and rail iron seems difficult to come by.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Well my grinder belts showed up this afternoon. So I was able to get one put on and make some minor adjustments in the wheels and the motor. It works! I now have a working belt grinder. I also picked up some steel at the machine shop yesterday to make the work table for the belt grinder. Almost have it finished and ready to mount.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    My brother tore down his deck off the back of his house last week. Lots and lots of 2" x 6" boards. I'm pretty sure there is more than enough to salvage that I will be able to make a very sturdy 4' x 8' x 36" work table in the garage for all my knife making equipment.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Man, you're lucking into the best supplies.

I know! it's almost scary the luck I'm having lately with the things I am needing for making knives.

I got out there earlier tonight, and did some rough grinding with the belt grinder. I still need to make some minor refinements, but it works. I think it's going to work out pretty good. I'm totally stoked right now!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Can't wait to see pics.

New pictures.

8dSBMLJl.jpg

sxZKOu2l.jpg

BwvQZedl.jpg

EInysQWl.jpg