Being sued by law firm representing debt collector

Texasslinger

May 18, 2012
houston
So looks like I went into default on a debt back in 2010. Couldn't afford the payments. They came by my wife's and my house and tools pictures of the front of the house according to my neighbor. Knocked on the door and asked if I was me. I should have asked who he was. Anyway there's a docket number and the case is with county civil court at law in houston. Should I get a lawyer? Anyone she'd some hope on my situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Wildcat Thicket, Texas
Contact the law firm that is suing you (should be an introductory/cover letter included with what you got today that has their contact info on it). They'll cut you a deal for pennies on the dollar to settle the case without going to court.

If its debt you actually owe you need to do your best to work with them. You really don't want a judgement on your report.

I can vouch for the process. I went through a nasty divorce years ago that left me deep in debt. I just worked as best as I could with them to get it cleared off.

Last edited:

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
Jun 6, 2011
The Woodlands
What kind of damages are they seeking? Are you willing to allow them to get a default judgment that can result in you having assets/paychecks garnished to pay their judgment? What is the nature of the debt? Need more facts.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
Jun 6, 2011
The Woodlands
Thou are partially correct. Which is why I asked about the nature of the debt and for more facts. Unpaid taxes, alimony/child support, certain structured settlements, and defaulted student loans can all very much result in you having your wages garnished. He hasn't given enough facts, which is why I asked. But you're right, they can potentially garnish his bank accounts too.

karlac

Gone fishin' ...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2013
WestU, TX
So looks like I went into default on a debt back in 2010. Couldn't afford the payments. They came by my wife's and my house and tools pictures of the front of the house according to my neighbor. Knocked on the door and asked if I was me. I should have asked who he was. Anyway there's a docket number and the case is with county civil court at law in houston. Should I get a lawyer? Anyone she'd some hope on my situation?
Yeah, do NOT think this will go away if you ignore it.
What Do We Do Now that We Have a Judgment? | Dallas Bar Association
That link, in a nutshell, is basically everything you need to know should "they" go so far as to get a judgement against you.

For you own protection, you do need to appear in court on that date, and you don't need to hire lawyer to do that. If you don't appear you risk a default judgement being filed against you in any event. Then your creditors will have the options available to them in the above link.

About the only wiggle room you have after that would be filing for Bankruptcy, something you probably would not want to do for that small amount.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
Jul 10, 2013
mckinney
Try to make a deal with them to pay this back

Top Bottom