Benefits of shooting with your off hand.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    No because anyone kicking down my door has just cost me 1000 dollars worth of door damage and I am pissed enough to shoot them.

ALSO MT89... notice the vet card got pulled? What do you think the MOS was 56M or 68T (Army sorry Marine guy)
    I had to look those up and more than likely. Kinda reminds me of that Jason Blaha guy. Look him up on YT. He is another fake tacticool fgt who tells everyone he was some cia killer or some crap

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I had to look those up and more than likely. Kinda reminds me of that Jason Blaha guy. Look him up on YT. He is another fake tacticool fgt who tells everyone he was some cia killer or some crap

I used to be a cia killer. In Laos. Back in '58.
    Ever heard of Operation Junglepoops?
    Of course you haven't.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    Moonpie.......:green:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2Frn958WJjZMQZW%2Fgiphy.gif

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Starts with a link to good information and goes downhill fast.

I wish we could read and respond to the thread and not just judge the OP. We might learn something.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I wish we could read and respond to the thread and not just judge the OP.
    Well, the OP has only himself to blame for that so I can't really speak to that aspect of your wish.

As for reading and responding to the article, I'm game.

The point it makes is really, really simple. Offhand shooting in precision target sports forces the shooter to concentrate on everything, intently, because of such a big change. So his point is just that "Really concentrating is important."

Now, that's a decent place to jump off into a detailed discussion of the mental issues involved in precision target shooting.

Unfortunately, most of the people on this board would be terribly bored by that. They approach handguns as either instruments for fun or self-protection, neither of which require the mindset of a traditional ISSF shooter or an NRA Bullseye...errr...Conventional Pistol...errr...Precision Pistol shooter. (I really wish the NRA would stop changing the name of that competition.) This is not meant as an insult by any means; every approach is valid. But it is what I've observed about people's interests. For a lengthy discussion of this sort of thing, there are other forums that would stay on-topic and work the issue for the next couple of months. And some of those guys actually make me look positively laconic.

The use of offhand work for defense-oriented training is quite valuable but not really for the "It'll make you go into super-concentrated mode" reason discussed in the article. In those cases, it's more about adapting to circumstances beyond one's control while in a situation where somebody doing something bad needs to be stopped. That's very different.

OTOH, anything that reinforces the fundamentals of marksmanship is always good. The article is applicable to everyone, just to different degrees.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Well, the OP has only himself to blame for that so I can't really speak to that aspect of your wish.

As for reading and responding to the article, I'm game.

The point it makes is really, really simple. Offhand shooting in precision target sports forces the shooter to concentrate on everything, intently, because of such a big change. So his point is just that "Really concentrating is important."

Now, that's a decent place to jump off into a detailed discussion of the mental issues involved in precision target shooting.

Unfortunately, most of the people on this board would be terribly bored by that. They approach handguns as either instruments for fun or self-protection, neither of which require the mindset of a traditional ISSF shooter or an NRA Bullseye...errr...Conventional Pistol...errr...Precision Pistol shooter. (I really wish the NRA would stop changing the name of that competition.) This is not meant as an insult by any means; every approach is valid. But it is what I've observed about people's interests. For a lengthy discussion of this sort of thing, there are other forums that would stay on-topic and work the issue for the next couple of months. And some of those guys actually make me look positively laconic.

The use of offhand work for defense-oriented training is quite valuable but not really for the "It'll make you go into super-concentrated mode" reason discussed in the article. In those cases, it's more about adapting to circumstances beyond one's control while in a situation where somebody doing something bad needs to be stopped. That's very different.

OTOH, anything that reinforces the fundamentals of marksmanship is always good. The article is applicable to everyone, just to different degrees.

Ben, dangit... Why you have to come in here and be reasonable! Seriously though, I always enjoy hearing you talk and reading your well thought out responses.

Andyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    I agree absolutely with benenglish that shooting with the weak hand will help to reinforce the shooting basics ( if they have ever been learnt), from grip to trigger pull and help to eliminate any mistake that crept into the shooting platform over time.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom