• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I have a Jaguar/Rolls Royce customer that got a bunch of firearm related parts, tools and ammo from an Estate sale. He traded me some Berdan primer removal tools. RSBS claw type remover set and some OLD Efemes Power-Punch Berdan deprimers.
    One is 8mm (mauser size .325") and the other is .425" (44 cal?)

I kinda figured out how to use the Mauser tool and I decapped some 1950s Egyptian 8mm brass cases I have. You load a .210 primer in the end of the tool and insert it into the case to the bottom of the case. Push down hard on the base part of the tool, put the 'firing-pin' into the tool and tap it with a hammer.

The .210 primer explodes and pushes out the Berdan primer into the base that has a hole in it to catch the primer.

Does anyone have any .30 cal sizes or have owners manual for these tools. I hope I am using it correctly. It works and I have all my body parts so I must not be far off on it's operation. I can make a .312 case insert from a 5/16" rod and drill the end to .210 for the primer pocket and have a .30 cal adapter but it would be quicker to buy one.

Kind of a cool tool but it takes a primer to lose a primer.

Not much info on the interweb about this antique tool.

bob

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Here is a pic of one of the tools (8mm). The other one (.425" tube insert) is in the deteriorated box behind it.

Efemes Power-Punch2.jpg

The brass case is a Berdan primed Mauser sitting in the lower cup. You place a .210 primer in the end of the tool and fit the case over it. Insert the 'firing-pin' and tap it to discharge the primer. That will 'blow' the Berdan primer from the case.

The TulAmmo primers are the correct 5.5mm size for the Egyptian brass cases. I have several other sizes from Old Western Scrounger.

I also have the RCBS tool on the left. It takes some finesse to manipulate the tool.

bob

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I have seen the videos about the hydraulic method and there is one with a guy in Australia or New Zealand with a set of plumbing pipes with washers and nuts setup on an old log with a hole in it.

Load a case in the pipe and scoop water from the bucket, drop it in the log, place the 'piston' in pipe and slam it with a hammer.

Looked like he had a rhythm going and could churn them out quickly.

This old tool can be used indoors without a giant mess but costs a Boxer primer every time.

bob

Top Bottom