• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    It can be done, but requires a lot of set-up. A jewelers lathe is helpful. Unless it is for a rare cartridge, it's not worth it.

Besides, Berdan primers are available.....

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Yes, it is not well known that Berdan cases can be reloaded. I have never done it before, but it would be interesting to know how.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    Yes, it is not well known that Berdan cases can be reloaded. I have never done it before, but it would be interesting to know how.

The case has to be supported so a sharp awl can be hammered at an angle in order to pry out the fired primer. If you have the correct Berdan primer, reloading is the same as the Boxer...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I see, you remove the primer from the outside. I thought maybe there was a two pronged decapped that had to be lined up with the flash holes. Sounds like a pain either way.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    I see, you remove the primer from the outside. I thought maybe there was a two pronged decapped that had to be lined up with the flash holes. Sounds like a pain either way.

It can be done from the inside..again support the case upright so you can fill it with water and hammer a close fitting rod down the case mouth. Hydraulic pressure will pop it out. Messy, tedious...Prying is the best.
    There is a a commercial tool that attaches to the rim and does the same prying....

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    check out the ammo smith on you tube he's got a video about changing berdan to boxer but i think he does it on steal case's.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Ultimately, the question is, "Why bother?"

Countries that use Berdan primers do that so that it's difficult to reload. Blazer uses Berdan primers in their aluminum cartridges as it's unsafe to reload.

Sell your Berdan-primed brass for scrap metal and buy Boxer-primed ammo.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have some 7.5x55 Swiss cases that are 5.5mm (I think) berdan primered but just as I looked around for some primers I found a sack of boxer primed cases for sale and purchased that.

Top Bottom