• ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Beretta M9A3 30,000k review

For me, the Beretta was what I like to call a "checkbox gun". A gun purchased for the sole reason of having one. A few too many viewings of the matrix, die hard, boondock saints, leon the professional, terminator 2, lethal weapon... I had to have one, but I didn't want a regular 92 or M9. After some soul searching, the M9A3 stood above all the other options. Rail, extra backstrap to change the vertec style grip to an M9A1 style, accessory rail, slide is cut to allow removal of the front sight, D-spring and improved sear.

It also had a threaded barrel, which I really don't care about
    Point Blur_Jul012021_025256.jpg

I got the black model, purely for aesthetic reasons.

While the Beretta was just initially a toy, at some point i decided i just really like DA/SA, and decided to sell my glocks. The Beretta then became my primary carry gun. With that, a few new parts got installed with an eye towards increasing the M9A3's rust resistance. The barrel was swapped with a shorter stainless-steel one, grip screws were replaced with stainless-steel slot heads, the decocker assembly, mag release, trigger, guide rod, and trigger bar were replaced with NP3 coated versions from langdon tactical, and the hammer axis pin was swapped out with a stainless-steel version. The factory night sights were also swapped with a set of Ameriglo spartans.

Point Blur_Jul012021_022315~2.jpg

The trigger is quite nice, it was nice before the LTT NP3 upgrades, but they helped drop the weight and make ot a bit smoother. Reset is also nicer.

DA pull is a smooth 8lbs, SA is a hair over 3. reset into SA is very short. Audible, and tactile, though not as much as a glock. On SA, when not pulling from the reset, you will have a bit of takeup.

Reliability, very good. In 30,000 rounds, the only issues have been user induced, caused by me trying to learn the secrets behind the vertec grip. The secret is to use the backstrap. No parts breakages to report

There were also some issues trying to see if some ammo that had gone underwater during Harvey was any good. 2 glocks, a sig 320 and a USP couldn't get that junk to go off either.

Accuracy. Great. Back when I wasn't out of practice, i could put 50 rounds into a group about this size. 7 yards. Thats 50 rounds in 3". Not bad for a service pistol. For me anyways.
    Point Blur_Jul012021_022829.jpg

Popping clays at 15 yards is not even a challenge, nor are mice at 5 yards

None of these are exactly stunning feats, but I am still able to stay up on my skill easier with this gun than i am with my glocks, which is good these days.

The finish has worn a good bit, all from holstering/unholstering. I blame most of it on the SAFARILAND holster i use, a 3280. The pistol rattles around a lot. Unfortunately its the only real option for light bearing and retention. It sucks and I hate it. But it does work.
    20210701_025349.jpg

Before I started writing this, I did a deep clean, and was amazed to see all the crud under the extractor. The gun has had zero FTEx, but man.. I wish I had a picture. Had I known, I would have made it a point to clean it every 5-10k rounds

I am extremely happy with this pistol, its done everything I've asked. Now, however I think the 92X series (not the steel competition model) is a better value of you plan on changing parts.
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

LaborLawPaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2021
    North Texas
    Just over a 1000 rounds through my M9A3. Looking through the log, I had three failures to feed, 2 with S&B 124 and one with a 124 WIN NATO. That surprised me because I had forgotten and it's overall so smooth and is a great shooter. Just getting broken in. It's my designated night stand pistol and wears an Olight. Also got a shoulder holster with two mag pouches for when I go South of 380 in cooler weather. :) I also need to use the Hogue grip, the small vertec does not work for me.

1625359731559.png

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Just over a 1000 rounds through my M9A3. Looking through the log, I had three failures to feed, 2 with S&B 124 and one with a 124 WIN NATO. That surprised me because I had forgotten and it's overall so smooth and is a great shooter. Just getting broken in. It's my designated night stand pistol and wears an Olight. Also got a shoulder holster with two mag pouches for when I go South of 380 in cooler weather. :) I also need to use the Hogue grip, the small vertec does not work for me.

View attachment 264647

Good shooting! What mags? One thing i forgot to put in the review was that i didnt like the mags the gun came with, difficult to load, and the follower moves around A LOT.

I've just benn using mec gar mags

LaborLawPaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2021
    North Texas
    Good shooting! What mags? One thing i forgot to put in the review was that i didnt like the mags the gun came with, difficult to load, and the follower moves around A LOT.

I've just benn using mec gar mags

I have the three mags that came with the pistol and I think I ordered a plain-jane mag (without the new coating) from Beretta when I ordered the replacement grip screws and a Beretta IWB holster. I fooled around with a grip with finger grooves and did not like that either. The grip does not fit as well for me as the CZ 75, but overall, I just really like the Beretta. I prefer the DA/SA configuration.

I noticed just now that the LTT is out of stock. shucks!

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I also use the classic grip on my M9A3 instead of the vertec, and have an O-light on it. I had a custom OWB holster made to fit the pistol with light.

1625362562021.jpeg

I haven’t had any FTF or FTE’s with any ammo, including 250 rounds of Russian steel cased ammo.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Just about done with my custom build M9 (Beretta USA-made version) which is using a commercial M9 lower frame with a bare vintage USGI M9 slide I recently acquired which I am in the process of building out. I already have an original M9 (early 1986 Pietro Beretta version from Italy) using a vintage Italian-made USGI M9 slide with the proper 1986 original 92F lower frame also made in Italy. I have many vintage and current Beretta model 92's and a few special M9's.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    My 92FS has been pulling nightstand duty for quite a while. Decided to get the recover grips so I'd have a rail for a streamlight. Has an Mcarbo spring kit in it. The thing is just about as slick as it gets for a handgun IMO. Love the 92/M9.
    20210703_235613.jpg

LinuxAssailant

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2020
    Soon to be Texan
    I LOVE my M9, just like the one I was issued, aside from the plastic guide rod,
    but do the new models have plastic lowers?

I WOULD live to have a 92FS INOX. They are purdy.

Oh, and on the newer models do they have a safety, or just a de-cocker( w//Firing pin Disconnect)?

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I LOVE my M9, just like the one I was issued, aside from the plastic guide rod,
    but do the new models have plastic lowers?

I WOULD live to have a 92FS INOX. They are purdy.

Oh, and on the newer models do they have a safety, or just a de-cocker( w//Firing pin Disconnect)?

The 92/m9 series is still aluminum

You can get them in both safety/decocker, or decocker only. You can also convert them back and forth, assuming you have the right parts

Top Bottom